Thread: Starting to see a few birds

Default Starting to see a few birds

Havent done any really serious exploration with the camera, but I do often have it with me and have lucked into a few birds. This is more or less a compilation over the last 6 weeks.

Large wading birds are extremely abundant here...at least in the summer

American Bittern. First one Id ever seen. Still havent seen another. He was in a ditch along the road. I think he thought I couldnt see him cause he just froze and let me shoot him from close range.

Immature green heron. This creek was a rookery with a green heron every 50 yards for at least a mile. VERY unapproachable bird

This is the Mead wildlife area. A huge wet land. a water fowl paradise. Sandhill Cranes and misc. ducks flying in the setting sun.

Sandhill Crane

Sandhill cranes are the most common large bird I see here

Theres a family of Whooping cranes I often see. These things are MONSTERS!

I met a guy that took me fishing for smallies in the north woods. There was a pair of loons on the lake. This one was enjoying a school of fry near the boat.

The most unapproachable bird on the planet...it seems. The Belted Kingfisher. We have loads of these guys, but getting a good shot is very dificult!

A young downy woodpecker outside my window.

Went to the downtown park looking for cardinals. They seem to be everywhere when I dont have my camera I set up on a pond trying to get a kingfisher. I hear an annoying hammering immediately to my left. Pileated Woodpeckers!! This was a bucket list species for me and heres a pair right in the park! And they were extremely tolerant of my presence.

This was my first Baltimore Oriole sighting. Not a great shot, but great to see one!

The last three days there has been a very obvious invasion of Cedar Waxwings! You are almost guaranteed to find them if you put in a little effort. Love these birds!!

On a side note, we had a tornado rip thru the countryside just to the west of town yesterday. Destroyed a home and several barns. A VERY ominous sky with torential rain and strong winds here.

Thanks for looking

Default Birds

jbird:
    Always makes my day when I see these great posts. Besides shooting them with the
    SLR, do you bird hunt? This is just about the time in the Midwest for a "cast and
    blast" outing. Grouse and trout. Don't do any hunting myself, but I do enjoy watching the dog work.
    Best, Larry S

I too love the waxwings. Especially the sound a tree full of them make!

Thanks for sharing!

_SHig

jbird,
    Great shooting.
    +1 on the difficulty of the Kingfisher and the Bittern.
    Especially love the Pileated shots. Seen plenty photgraphed none.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks guys!

Larry, I dont hunt but I may take it up in the future. Its a way of life here.

jbird,

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoy your work.

Default Wisconsin

Jbird,

You should get a copy of Aldo Leopold's book: A Sand
    County Almanac.

It's a great read. And, took place in your backyard!

Beautiful birds for sure, thanks for sharing.
    Benny