Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggest lake for kayak

Default suggest lake for kayak

Hi all,

A long time river/wade trout fisherman, I just recently picked up a fishing kayak. So far no luck on a couple east bay reservoir outings, but I've got an opportunity to get a solid day of fishing in this Friday. Since I'm new to this, I was hoping to get some advice on a lake or two to try. PM's are cool.

I need to be in South Lake Tahoe Friday evening. Ideally I'd camp somewhere Thursday evening and hit the water first light. I've got a decent kayak cart, so I could drag it a couple hundred yards if needed.

Caples? Looks like I couldn't hit the water until 8AM during the week.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ninepoundjammer View Post
    Hi all,

A long time river/wade trout fisherman, I just recently picked up a fishing kayak. So far no luck on a couple east bay reservoir outings, but I've got an opportunity to get a solid day of fishing in this Friday. Since I'm new to this, I was hoping to get some advice on a lake or two to try. PM's are cool.

I need to be in South Lake Tahoe Friday evening. Ideally I'd camp somewhere Thursday evening and hit the water first light. I've got a decent kayak cart, so I could drag it a couple hundred yards if needed.

Caples? Looks like I couldn't hit the water until 8AM during the week.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe
    Wrights Lake is PERFECT for you. Off of 50 about 45 minutes from South Lake. Amazing inlet creek channel for kayaking, and decent numbers of planters and wild browns to keep it interesting. No motors allowed, smallish lake, can be paddled around in maybe an hour. Beautiful campground but it can sell out. You can dispersed camp off a logging road nearby if necessary though.

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    Wrights Lake is PERFECT for you. Off of 50 about 45 minutes from South Lake. Amazing inlet creek channel for kayaking, and decent numbers of planters and wild browns to keep it interesting. No motors allowed, smallish lake, can be paddled around in maybe an hour. Beautiful campground but it can sell out. You can dispersed camp off a logging road nearby if necessary though.

_SHig
    Awesome. Sounds perfect. As long as I can toss out a tent anywhere in the vicinity, I'm cool. Thanks a bunch.

Very near Wrights Lake is Dark Lake which can be another good choice.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Try Woods Lake just off of hwy 88 above Caples. Lots of hungry brookies, some rainbows, beautiful scenery, and camping close to the lake. Easy access.

I like Woods Lake too. I've kayaked, canoed and tube it. Always picked up something, nothing much in the way of size but so beautiful, easy access, compact.

Default other adventures

For future endeavors around nor cal. Not too sure if the hatch is still going, but the hex were rising like crazy a few weeks ago on Butt Valley Reservoir. Use mercer's hex nymph from 4 til 7 pm switch to cripples after that. Milton Reservoir is off the hook right now....

Wrights has some healthy browns in the channel near the back of the lake. I caught a pretty nice rainbow out of Dark Lake last summer. I preffer Dark with a tube, because Wrights is a kick to get to any water deeper than 4 feet. With a kayak it would be an easy paddle to get to the back. Look for the dark water "channel" running through the lake and you'll find fish.

Dan

Thanks for all the tips. Whatever I don't hit this trip I'll surely put on my list for the future.

Looking at the map, it looks like a bit of a hike to Dark from the road. Not sure I want to haul my 65 pound kayak + gear too far, or is there better access that I'm just not seeing?

Will be sure to report back!

The aerial map online probably doesn't show it well, but the road goes right up to Dark Lake (just past Wrights). You may have to walk 30 feet from the parking lot? Be warned though, if you show up late on a weekend you may not even find a parking spot up there!

Dan