Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Striper! (photos)

Thanks Tony and everyone. I know I certainly had some good direction from the guys I floated with. They got a few pointers from Charlie more than a few times as well.

Thanks Mrs Fins, Gene and Hatch. Mrs Fins, don't let him be a grump - you're right about that.

Having that memory of the deep heavy tugs, is certainly addicting. Definetely gets you thinking about when it may happen again.

Sorry for the late reply! Just got back from a short vacation in Yosemite. I chased some "bait" the first day but the Merced was just crystal clear and people were swimming in all the good water so I didn't bother after that.

It was a pleasure to get Bryan on his first stripe. We got skunked the week before but had our chances. I had my doubts with the full moon and the water fluctuations just a few days earlier but I decided to change it up and tied some flies based on the first striper fly I ever tied.

Rossmoor through Riverbend was pretty dead... no hits, no follows, and didn't even see a fish unlike the trip before....

But hey, plenty of good water still ahead, we hit up our next spot and were getting settled in when Bryan called out fish. From the bend in the rod I knew it was a decent fish and was figuring it was going to be bigger than what it was as it just sat hard. Bryan did a great job getting the fish in and unfortunately we got sucked out of our spot and didn't get a chance to see if anyone else was home but we were pretty stoked regardless.

I missed my chance shortly after, had about a 22"er just come in and eat but didn't stick on the hook set. Kevin landed his 19"er shortly after that which has me holding the fish in the pic.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Robin and Charlie G. Extra Kudos to Charlie since you showed us the ropes on the float we're doing. Robin, will have to get together with you guys for some fishing again one day. We had a great time will Paul a few years ago on the lower river. I still owe him some flies! Now, we just need to get dad on his first fish for his boat....

I remember my first stripe too..... about an 8"er just above Harrington during that first high water year about 6-7 years ago.... Not the biggest, but hey, had to start somewhere. Have to thank our own David Lee for passing on his addiction to me. Definitely need to repay that favor with a float soon!

And if anyone didn't know, Blueracer and I usually chase the half pounders together. He'll probably tell you fishing for me is just an outlet to test out all the flies I come up with.... Maybe this year I'll have a fly for Bill to share with everyone from the shop... about time to start sharing some knowledge I guess.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Charlie,we need to get you out there one day when you're not too busy, we promise we won't make you row haha. I wish my first striper was that big as well, I think the first one I ever caught was a dink too, but either way, it still makes you a believer you can catch them on a fly. I think it also makes you a better caster overall to throw the bigger flies and sinking/shooting lines, at least more rounded anyway.

I will definately take you boys up on your offer! I have sundays and mondays off. If we can do a sunday then I will buy the pizza and beers at OneSpeed.