Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Striper! (photos)

Default First Striper! (photos)

For what seems like a while now, Jeff has expressed his passion about fishing for stripers when we talk about fly fishing. Being from the midwest, he has been wanting to get me hooked into my first striper on the American and show me the type of big fish fly fishing that can be found right close to Sacramento.

After a first trip last week, seeing a fish follow the fly in and another dart out from cover and bite my fly but not get hooked I understood where he was getting his excitement from.

Yesterday morning we met at the river with a full moon still up and put in at Roosmoor. It was a shockingly empty river for a Saturday and only saw a few kayaks and one boat anchored in a back channel drifting some live bait. We got lucky and had the hole river quietly to ourselves to work. We drifted some good water without even seeing a fish let alone getting any follows. We all started saying things like, hmmm maybe things haven't settled down since the flow changes mid-week. And that moon has been pretty full for 2 nights in a row now, hasn't it?

But the Goding brothers were encouraging and we just moved to another place and kept casting. And then out of no where, on a cast and strip like so many others I feel this heavy pull and tug on the line. The fish hit and ran, immediately setting the hook. The fish was down too deep to see and as he ran I carefully fed him a few inches of line at a time until I got him on the reel. It felt like a solid fish, but being my first striper I was unsure how big it could be. After turning him from a few deep runs toward the current, I was able to keep him in the slower water and get him up to the surface where Kevin lipped him in some slower current.

Mission accomplished! First striper and it was a blast! Now I know what all the fuss is about. Those fish are some strong tanks.

Kevin saw plenty of fish and nearly got into some big ones that were chasing and slashing at his fly. He landed a nice schoolie.

Jeff saw fish too and had a good one that he set the hook on a little early. So almost all three of us landed a fish yesterday during a float that started off slow.

Last edited by Blueracer; 08-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks for the excellent post and wonderful photos.....

According to Lower American River "Striper Commando" Andy Guibord, the next few months are prime time for Stripers in our little river.

http://andyguibord.wordpress.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default First Striper

Blue,
    That's a really nice fish for your first striper on a fly. Most guys start with a few dinks before getting onto something with shoulders. A few more like that and you'll be another addict too.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Cool

Great post and you were certainly in great company as well... The Goding brothers have been doing this a while!

Hubby and I were out on the Lower end of the American River yesterday afternoon and evening. Paul landed a nice 3-4 lb'er right off the bat and then we got nothing but dinks until about 7:30-ish when he hooked into a nice fish on his chartreuse super minnow (the Godings know what this is - LOL). He pulled that fish in and we were both astonished that it wasn't a striper at all, but an 18" [hatchery] STEELHEAD! WHAT???

He'd been pretty grumpy up until that point and tried to continue, but I told him, "You can be grumpy, and you can outfish me, but you can't doin' both! So, quit grumpin'!"

All I ended up with were 5 or so dinks - HMPH. Thought I was smart trying an olive over pink/white super minnow... guess I'll switch to that dang chartreuse. I just don't get why they like 'em SO boring...

Ah well... maybe next time will be my turn!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Atta boy! Nice fish for sure. Never have done the striped thing. Might never. Could end up like golf or skiing (expensive and all consuming!).

_SHig

Good job guys! I've had some great times on the water with those boys.

Your life is changed forever. Wait till your wife and family finds out that within 30 miles or so from Sac. You can catch those bad boys about 10 months out of the year.
    Welcome to the addiction.
    HATCH

Hey Bryan nice first striper.....your hooked now.

Default First striper

Nice going!
    NE this year has been a mixed bag. Fine early during the initial migration up the coast but have headed off to deeper water more recently and unless you have a boat has been very slow.
    Keep up the good work,
    striper33

Not sure if I should congratulate you or send you condolences! I took my first striper on the fly last year with the help of Charlie G and have been an addict ever sense! I've dropped more than a few bucks on tying materials two new rods, two reels and lines . . . and the list goes on. Not a day goes by that I don't think about tossing a big bug at those critters. Glad you were successful!