Thread: 'Go to' Nor Cal Striper line - Rio OBS Type 6 sinkrate

Default 'Go to' Nor Cal Striper line - Rio OBS Type 6 sinkrate

Local commando Striper guys Andy Guibord and Jim Christensen have been using the new Rio Outbound Short (30' head) integrated sinktip line in a type 6 sink-rate for Stripers, Smallmouth and Large Mouth Bass now.

They both say that this line sinks very fast and cast really nice so they have gone to it for a "go to" fast sinking line.

Most people are using ~28 foot lead-core or T-14 level heads with mono or intermediate running lines or the integrated T-14 sink-tips from Rio and SA for a fast sinking line for Stripers. These with sink slightly faster but don't cast as nicely as the Rio OBS Type 6 integrated sinktip does.

It has an intermediate running line with an integrated 30' type 6 sinkrate head.

**This line would be great for new comers to the Striper fly fishing world because they cast easier that level lead-core or T-14.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I started using OBS type 6 for bass and even toss it in the surf. It does indeed cast nicely. The only complaint, and not one that would cause me to change lines, is the color of the running line. I sometimes find it a little hard to pick up where the head starts. I had replaced some very old DT lines last fall and was really quite amazed how well these lines cast. I have OBS floaters and sinkers, and love them all!

So is the line upped by 2 like the rest of the OBS floating/intermed. lines?

Yes.......I believe it is the same as most of the other OBS lines.

I just checked the grain weight of the WF8 I/S6 and it is 330 so that is a #10+ weight.

It comes in WF6 through WF10 line size (over-lined 2 sizes already).
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have been using the WF9 I/S6, which is 375 grains, on an eight weight.

It feels just right to me. The #375 works great on my #9 too, but I like fishing an #8 most of the time...

The line really is quite good. It will make you feel like a rockstar! Matt.

Default Try it on a Sage Smallmouth..

Matt!..how the heck are you man?....I lean in your direction on this line. i think it is a great line on the smallmouth rod when you're not trying to cast to the next county. This line(9wt) was excellent for the smallmouth fishing we did for the DWR study back in early march on the Sac. This line was superb at those distances and loaded the rod beautifully without feeling "too heavy". At 375gr.(9wt) one might think it is way too much for the rod, but i think it is a great match for the application. I can see your liking to your 8wt with this line.

Used the line on the South Fork of the A stripping streamers deep and it was spectacular.