Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Photos: Bob Marshall Wilderness Float Trip (Montana)

Default Trip Photos: Bob Marshall Wilderness Float Trip (Montana)

My group and I just returned from an amazing float trip through the heart of the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. We spent a week floating almost 50 miles of the South Fork of the Flathead River,... one of world's last stronghold of pure strain West Slope Cutthroat Trout. First, we "earned" our way into the headwaters by horseback riding more than 25 miles. This river has to be one of the most remote in the lower 48... there is no shortcut to the get to the headwaters and it must be accomplished on foot or by horse/mule (park regulations).

Thankfully, Paws Up Outfitters provides this transport service and a complete host of mobile camp amenities throughout the week. We first camped and fished at Youngs Creek near the headwaters of the South Fork. This was a real treat, as we had the opportunity to fish this small gem and receive a nice introduction to what was yet to come. Then, we ventured by horseback again and launched our boats at the confluence of Gordon Creek and the South Fork. From there, we would begin an epic journey down this incredible fishery.

All week, it was dry fly fishing to gorgeous Cutts that would eat size 6 foam flies with vigor. While most fish were in the 10 - 15 inch class, everyone still landed a number of nice sized fish to 20 inches during the trip. Nothing is more exciting that seeing Cutts in gin-clear water rise through the water column to eat your fly off the surface.

Here are a number of photos that tell part of the story. I will be completing my full trip report in the next few days and will post on my blog.

Angling On The Fly Travel
    (916) 539-3474
    www.AnglingOnTheFly.com

Excellent Keith. Wow.

I think this is the last river in the Lower 48 that has not be messed with.....still just as God made it.

Having lots of success fishing large dry flies in the day time is not common anymore.

I also think this is one for everybody's "Bucket List".....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

With my dad being a pilot, I have had the privilege of venturing deep into the Bob Marshall wilderness to fish and it is an amazing place. The USFS has several dirt (unmaintained) landing strips back there and they are perfect for a piper super cub to land on. There are really only 3 ways to get around back there, horseback/packing in, light aircraft, or raft trip (several days). I agree with Bill, the rivers back there are so wild, untouched and free it will take your breath away. FIsh hit dries pretty much like they have never seen them and the wildlife is endless, moose, deer, bear, elk. Several times we had to wait to land at a couple of airstrips to wait for the moose to clear the runway.

Although I havent fished this exact river, I have gotten to fish the Selway, Salmon and many of their tributaries very closeby, moose creek, big creek etc. The westslope cutts are such a neat fish, they hit dries like they were born to but they are in no hurry when they do, they come up nice and lazy from the bottom and hit those hoppers at their own pace.

What a fantastic place, did you guys ever see or catch any bull trout? I was reeling in about an 8 inch cutt when a 25-26" bull trout annihilated it and I had him on for about a minute on my 5 weight..... that didnt last long.

thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Outstanding, indeed!
    Love to have one of those cups.

Terrific shots KK! Work well done buddy. That's a beautiful feel for what was experienced.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Default Nice!

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. A few years back, I did the drive into the northern border of The Bob and hiked into the wilderness a few miles, but nothing like the epic journey that you did. I've thought about hiking in (and out) of the area where you started your float, but I haven't done so...yet.

Cheers!

--Fly Guy Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Default Float Trip 2012

Just an early FYI... I am in the process of setting up dates for a return trip next season (2012). The week will be in late-July / earl-August. Let me know if you are interested and I will put your name on the list. I am still in awe that there are places this beautiful in the Lower 48 and have Trout so willing to rise to the dry fly... simply amazing.
    Angling On The Fly Travel
    (916) 539-3474
    www.AnglingOnTheFly.com

Default Info, please...?

Hey Keith-

Do you know of any outfitters that will pack you and your gear & raft into the SF Flathead and then pick you up at the inlet at Hungry Horse? I've seen the Paws Up Resort in person (and their website) and honestly, it's a bit too rich for my blood, plus, I'm more of a DYI kind of guy, so I'm looking for the no-frills (or ZERO frills) outfitter. Any ideas? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Fly Guy Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Kaneko View Post
    Just an early FYI... I am in the process of setting up dates for a return trip next season (2012). The week will be in late-July / earl-August. Let me know if you are interested and I will put your name on the list. I am still in awe that there are places this beautiful in the Lower 48 and have Trout so willing to rise to the dry fly... simply amazing.
    Keith-

Showed this post to my wife and she said, "Let's do it." So, could you put the two of us on your "list." Thanks.

Richard