Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any word on the Carson?

Default Any word on the Carson?

East or west? Will be in that neck of the woods on a climbing trip this weekend and hoping to fish an evening or 2. Any word on water, bugs, etc? Thanks all.

Aaron...im fishing Saturday up there...do you have access to a dirt bike or ATv?

Not this trip unfortunately. Mainly up that way to climb, but taking a few novice friends out for an evening sesh or 2.

We will be riding in on an all day thing Saturday.

Take the newbs above the bridges for stockers....

Nice, let me know how that goes. Was thinking just that in regards to the bridge.

EC is good. Stonefly nymphs, san juan worms, caddis patterns and streamer fishing. All work now. I fished it last saturday and did not notice any dry fly action. We started fishing around 7am and finished at 1pm. Only saw one other person on the water. Last saturday flows were 525cfs now down below 400cfs I believe. Flows perfect for wet wading.

We fished well below Hangman's and caught a lot of stockers from 10" to 18". High water has pushed the stockers well downstream. 18" stockers looked like Alpers trout, but who knows for sure. Out of 23 fish landed between 2 anglers only 5 were wild fish.

Did see stonefly husks on the rocks so a big dry might provide some action.

EC just dropped under 300. That's still about triple the median for this time of year. It's probably worth trying if you are in the area, but the conditions aren't gonna be great. Honest.

1-2 hookups would be an optimistic scenario. I would leave the junk (lead, nymphs, bobbers) at home, and toss grasshoppers, orange/yellow stims in #8-10, during the day, and #16 or smaller cahills in yellow or cream at dusk.

If the water is high why would you do that?

I totally disagree with Amoeba. Fishing is good on EC. I fished it at 525cfs and we did great. As flows drop the fishing generally improves. For us the nymphing was great. See my post above. The dry fly should be steadily improving with the flies that Amoeba mentioned.

If you only get 1 or 2 grabs in a day then hire a guide that knows the water and learn from the experience. I used to guide out of Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters in S. Lake Tahoe and primary water was the EC. They have good guides that know that river inside out.

It's great fishing at this time, although beware of the full moon this week PM me if you have further ?'s.

Default Aaawwwwhooooo!!!!!!

Forget the junk, don't make a special trip, but do fish it if you're in the area:

This is a pretty simple system.....pounded to smithereens on rumors like this, but can be good when the flows drop. You don't need to see fish rising to fish dries.

By "flows drop" I mean <150 or 100 cfs; not <300 or <525. That's truely borderline.

Anyone who believes that guides make a lick of difference, or might catch 23 fish in 4 morning hours on junk, can bring out there checkbooks and get fleeced by one, then howl at the moon which they can then blame. That pre-excuse/wink was pretty darn hilarious.

AAAWWWWWHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! WHOOO! WHOOOO! WHOOOOOO!