Thread: Shasta Lake

Default Shasta Lake

Has anyone run up the river arms by boat to the moving water & tried for trout in the summer? I'll be up there all next week & just looking for some options instead of just chasing bass & pan fish.

Tony

I have not done that but it should be possible.....

The Sacramento and McCloud arms are not dammed down low near the lake but there is a dam on the Pit River at Fenders Ferry.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Tried the McCloud arm once. Rigged up my rod, set it in the back of the Ski Sanger. Buddie took off and coller went sliding down the length of the boat and snapped my rod in half. Looked fishy up there. Thank goodness cooler was full!

Default Trout and spotted bass

Depending on where you launch it can be a bit of a jaunt unless you have a fast boat.

I have fished the McLoud and the Squaw and had mixed results. I had the best luck on the McLoud with large streamers (silver/grey/blue) on a type 2 or3 sinking line fished deep while drifting slowly with the current (using a trolling motor to steady your position). I caught as many spotted bass as I did trout though.....but that isn't necesarily bad...

Let it sink for longer that you think then strip with quick short bursts. Be prepared to lose some flies.....

Starting about now the big browns will begin to stage up before their annual trip upstream....

Enjoy!

Curtis Cole
    NorCalDrifter56@yahoo.com
    California guide - Licensed and Bonded

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDrifter56 View Post
    Depending on where you launch it can be a bit of a jaunt unless you have a fast boat.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll have my bass boat so it doesn't take to long to get around + we'll be on a house boat all week & we'll be anchoring close to the areas we'll be fishing.

Tony