Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First a trifecta then a swing and a miss

Default First a trifecta then a swing and a miss

Spent Saturday with kokanee jr "Craig" up in the sierras where I like to be. It was Craig's first time float tubing so I went where there was a recent plant Woods Lake. Plus it is just a nice lake to spend the day on. Fishing was extremely slow but the weather and view made up for it. Craig was able to get his first float tube trout and I think he liked it. We spent the day throwing intermediate lines and stripping in flies. I used my black wiggle tail and I believe Craig was using a bugger. I was lucky enough to get a couple more fish than Craig and caughtt something I did not know existed in Woods. I caugh the typical planter rainbow, a couple small brookies, and last but not least a cutthroat. I have never heard of a cutthroat in Woods, so they must be planting them this year or I just have never caught one before there. About 1:30 we decided to get off the water and have some lunch before we headed to Silverfork to meet up with Neil. Got to mile marker 3 a little late but Neil was there so we said our hellos and head down to the water. The Silverfork is still a little high but fishable. The rainbows were willing but they were very fast this day. If you were not 100% concentrating they would hit your fly so fast that you just wouldn't be able to set the hook on them. But luckily we all got fish. I was hoping for a brown so I could end the day with 4 species but it was not to be. I had 2 on for sure but they both came off, had one come off right at the net. All in all it was a great day with a good friend and a new friend. I plan to the Silverforkk and other parts of the South Fork every week til the snow comes. I think it will be perfect in 2 to 3 weeks, the flows should be a little lower opening a lot more holes for the fish to hid in. Hope to see people on the water, yeah right who am I kidding, I go to the Silverfor to not see people and for the pure beauty of that sweet little canyon.

Fish on!

And this picture is what it is all about.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Scott,
    Great report I was afraid to let the "cutt out of the bag" but you can't blame me now!

Great little lake for my first time and "unfortunately" I believe the bug has struck as I downloaded the wiggle tail pattern and began rereading steven ojai's tecniques for stillwater page.

Thanks again for being patient with a newcomer and being willing to answer my never ending questions.

I told my wife about the flowers and we may make a quick up and back trip to the lake Wednesday to do some photography check out the falls and if I am lucky fish the sliverfork on the way home.

p.s. You didn't tell me I matched my tube so well. Now to design a rodholder or 2
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by kokaneejr View Post
    Scott,
    Great report I was afraid to let the "cutt out of the bag" but you can't blame me now!
    Good one!

Great little lake for my first time and "unfortunately" I believe the bug has struck as I downloaded the wiggle tail pattern and began rereading steven ojai's tecniques for stillwater page.
    I prefer lakes, and I don't understand people that don't even LIKE lake flyfishing! Most just don't know they like it yet...

p.s. You didn't tell me I matched my tube so well. Now to design a rodholder or 2
    Why reinvent the wheel? Just kidding. Looking forward to some fresh ideas!

_SHig

SHig,

I dont really want to reinvent anything I was just looking and for my wierd tube I didn't see muck. I saw a big side mounted one on a saltwater site but if you have a better idea to look for let me know I am all about copying someone elses great idea

p.s. My tube is a TU Kenebec

SHig,

I dont really want to reinvent anything I was just looking and for my wierd tube I didn't see muck. I saw a big side mounted one on a saltwater site but if you have a better idea to look for let me know I am all about copying someone elses great idea

Didn't Scott have his rack mounted? Should be able to make one like that for your tube I'd guess. It has side D-rings?

_SHig

Craig,

You're in trouble. Scott took me stillwater fishing for my first time in my Kennebec last summer, and I have only been able to fish moving water about a half a dozen times since! Bigger fish, and for me just more enjoyable. Although Sivler does look pretty tempting in those pic's. Enjoy.

Dan

SHig,

Colfax,
    yeah I have lots to learn still and lakes seem so vast compared to streams but they also are a challenge and might be able to quench my urge when everything closes at the end of the season.

Do you happen to have a photo of your setup? I was thinking of an upright side mounted rod holder. Maybe a 2 tube version wrapped around the side pontoon.
    Thanks.

Do you happen to have a photo of your setup? I was thinking of an upright side mounted rod holder. Maybe a 2 tube version wrapped around the side pontoon.
    Thanks.
    http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...highlight=rack

_SHig

I will take a picture of my setup to share with you. I basicaly copied portions of SHig's (holds 3 rods and a landing net). His is WAY better looking than mine, but mine works. I keep two short straps in one of the pockets and strap the rack on when I need it. Lakes really aren't that hard to learn (especially if you know how to fish them with gear, pretty much the same idea). Casting an I line sitting down was a little difficult for me at first, kept wrapping the line around the tip of my rod. Now it's just nothing but a good time, and yes there are lakes available all year round .

Dan

Colfax,
    yeah I have lots to learn still and lakes seem so vast compared to streams but they also are a challenge and might be able to quench my urge when everything closes at the end of the season.

Thanks.

Thanks guys you are awesome!!