Thread: Merced River Info???

Default Merced River Info???

I am a relative newby to fly fishing and have never really thrown flys outside of the Trinity. I have been fishing that river for the past 10 years and have fallen in love with this type of fishing. I do not think I have used my spinning outfits but once or twice in that time frame. My father used to live in Lewiston, CA so I was always up there. I did get out on the
    Lower Sac earlier this summer and gaught 3 of the biggest bows for me ever. A couple at 17" and one at 18". I went with Lonnie from the Fly Shop and I thought he was great, good company and got me into fish.

Now that my pops is no longer with us I am looking to venture to some other rivers. I live in Morgan Hill, CA and thought I might go out and try the Merced in the next week or two. It seems like it might be the closest river to me with some potential.

I would love some avice if anyone is willing to share. Is it a good fry fly river or more of nymphing river. Is it wadeable or do you need a boat? I haven't noticed any reports on this river is there a place where I can get current information on the river?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah. New to this site and really find it informative.

Welcome to the board. The Merced near El Portal is very nice. I'm not sure what the conditions are like but you can check with the fly shop in Modesto or google Sierra fly fishers. They have a blog. Good luck and have a great time.
    Jason

Welcome to the board. Glad to hear you're enjoying fly fishing.

I fished the Merced around El Portal two weeks ago. The water was still too high to wade. In fact the kayakers thought it was just right! I managed to catch a few fish - all on nymphs, but I really had to work for them. When flows are down (less than 500) dry flies will work in the evening. I just checked the flows and it's dropped from 1,300 when I was there, to 875 today. It's a fun river to fish, but I've never caught anything bigger than 14" (except the 20" sucker I got last time...). You'll catch primarily rainbows with an occasional brown. Good luck.
    craig

The Merced CAN be fun, but it's always been tough to time it right. El Portal area has good camping sites, especially in the briceburg area. Keep in mind, Usually by this time of year that merced is way low and can actually be too warm to fish. (the trout will hit up the deep pools and stay there) Obviously that won't be the case at this time.

I live in the same area as you. It isn't the easiest place to live for fly fishing. A good day trip is the Mokolumne river near lodi. 2 hour + drive for some usually decent fishing. (the scenery isn't exactly Lewiston, but the fishing can be fun. I've even caught some hatchery steelhead there that were a blast to fight)

If you're looking for overnight camping/fishing, I would suggest heading towards Sonora, Tahoe or even over the pass to the East Walker River.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Since the wife and I just got in our new house a day trip here or there is all I will be able to manage between now and the winter.

Sammy I hear you about not living in the best location for fly fishing. I'm glad I am not one who is afraid to drive a few hours to find some solitude and, if lucky, maybe a fish or two.

Thanks again.