I am a relative newby to fly fishing and have never really thrown flys outside of the Trinity. I have been fishing that river for the past 10 years and have fallen in love with this type of fishing. I do not think I have used my spinning outfits but once or twice in that time frame. My father used to live in Lewiston, CA so I was always up there. I did get out on the
Lower Sac earlier this summer and gaught 3 of the biggest bows for me ever. A couple at 17" and one at 18". I went with Lonnie from the Fly Shop and I thought he was great, good company and got me into fish.

Now that my pops is no longer with us I am looking to venture to some other rivers. I live in Morgan Hill, CA and thought I might go out and try the Merced in the next week or two. It seems like it might be the closest river to me with some potential.

I would love some avice if anyone is willing to share. Is it a good fry fly river or more of nymphing river. Is it wadeable or do you need a boat? I haven't noticed any reports on this river is there a place where I can get current information on the river?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah. New to this site and really find it informative.