Thread: Mammoth area report

Default Mammoth area report

I just returned from a trip to the Eastern Sierra. Before heading out, I emailed Dave Neal regarding a guide trip. He was booked, but made sure he referred me to another guide that was available. Dave, thanks for your help. Eric "Otis" Hine took me to the East Walker. It was my first day on the East Walker so it was fantastic to have a guide show me the ropes. With Eric's help I hooked and landed plenty of browns and rainbows. A couple of bigger fish broke me off. Eric was a VERY hardworking guide. His tips helped me get into lots of fish that day and in the future.

I fished the San Joaquin, Owens, and Hot Creek as well as many smaller creeks. I caught the following fish yesterday morning on Hot Creek at about 8:00 AM before heading back to the condo to pack up the family for the drive home. A great way to end a great trip!

craig

Beautiful catch, sounds like an awesom trip to me!

Default Alright!

Nice going Craig, glad you enjoyed your visit to the Eastern Sierra!!

Eric Hein is a good buddy of mine and he is one of the hardest working guides out there!!

Whether you are new to an area, or just want to get the most out of a particular fishery - hiring a competent, experienced, hardworking guide can make a lot of difference. You would be hard pressed to not learn a new trick or two along the way.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

How were conditions on the SJ - water still raging?

I can agree with all of this. I have had the pleasure of fishing with Dave more than once. Not only does be know his stuff, but he's the kind of guy that's just plain fun to fish with.

A few years ago I fished with Otis on the East Walker and had a GREAT trip.

Lastly, I'm up in Mammoth rigt now for a week with the family. I'm not expecting to do much fishing but I'll probably be able to sneak out for a few hours at a time. I hit Hot Creek yesterday afternoon between thunderstorms with no luck. I didn't stay long because the SWIMMERS outnumbered fishermen. In the past I have seen them down by the hot springs, but this time they were spread out all over. There was one group of 5 swimmers and a dog having a great time right in the middle if the stream. I guess the "DONT WADE HOT CREEK" stickers don't reach everyone!

-ben

Default guides

Great fish! I love those pics.

I'll add my 2 cents on the mammoth guides. I went on my first guided trip with Otis on the E. Walker about 11 years ago - it was a great trip and I learned so much that helped me get started in the sport. I have fished with him several times since - Crowley and U. Owens, and each time had a great day.

I had the chance to fish with Dave Neal several years ago as well - San Joaquin fishing dry flies. He taught me a lot and we caught fish all day on a beautiful stream.

I highly recommend both these guys if you want to get out with a guide in the Mammoth area!

Default Alrighty then!

Craig, Ben & jmac... thanks so much for the kind words!

In an tough economy, challenging occupation and w/ no shortage of quality fishing guides in CA and NV - it's nice to hear some good words from time to time!!

Most guides choose this life of long hours, endless patience and poverty because they love being outside and sharing the passion of fishing. It's contagious.

I keep intending to write a good solid report of Mammoth area but have been extremely short on time this week...

Please note, if anyone has some personal fishing conditions experiences to share have at it. I like hearing others observations since there are SOOOOO many waters around here. Conditions change daily, don't take to much too seriously... I find anglers are better off making their own report instead of reading them. Ask 10 anglers how their day was on the EW and get at least 5 completely different opinions!!!

All in all the local fishing along the Eastside is pretty darn good right now. We are having afternoon thundershowers but they don't last long and should be over with later this week.

Crowley Lake- has served up some humble pie to me the last 2 days, but that doesn't mean it wont be on fire tomorrow. When we've hooked them - they have been very large and full of piss & vinegar. Bait season has closed - it's all barbless artificial now and less crowded... unless you're on the McGee Channel. LOL. Algae has cleared considerably in most areas, but can still be a factor though. Midge hatch has slowed (?) but the fish are on other things like calibaetis, damsel nymphs and even small perch/trout fry at certain times of the day. Stripping a type III can be good! If not, run the assortment under the cator. Water cooler on average for August - Ive been fishing deep 11-18'. Winds have come up at 1pm but have been calming back down in afternoon this week. Evening bite?? Might be worth it...

Hot Creek - Is always good/great depending on time of day and crowds. When the bugs hatch, the fish eat, when no hatch the fish hide! Bugs include small caddis, tricos early, some pmd, scuds always, hoppers are about as well. I think the best dry fly fishing may be just around the corner. Cover lots of water and find good situations.

Upper Owens has been really good to me this week. Above Benton Crossing bring LOTS OF DEET, skeeders are gnarly. Below Benton it's not too bad, but more crowded w/ bait/lure anglers but many of these are the friendliest anglers you'll meet - at least the ones that pick up their trash!!!!!

Some typical stockers on nymphs and occasionally some big Crowley browns starting to show up. Dry fly fishing has been slower this week, but DONT let that stop you. LOTS of hoppers in the grass!!

MF San Joaquin is just about to turn on. Fish being caught for sure but water is still high in most places. it will get better here and fish well till October this year!!! Cast & blast of mt quail/trout anyone??

E Walker is on the rise again 661cfs 8/1/11 But personally I would still fish it on a day off! You may not see too many others??? Bring a 5wt 11' switch rod and enjoy trying something different. The river was insanely good from the dam all the way through NV while the flows were -400cfs!!! Those who missed out, missed out. lots of midges of all shapes and sizes (reservoir induced) caddis pupa and larva, some little yellow stones, small fish fry etc... If you are driving through - stop and check it out. It might be worth it it.

Many backcountry lakes are fishing well right now!! If you are planning a trip for a few days bring a tube and go try some of the lakes you have heard about but not yet fished. You will never hook trout at home indoors.

Feel free to email me (honestly I am horrible about PM's) if you have any specific questions or need some advice!

Have fun.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

I wanted to respond to fishabuoy's question about the SJ. Here's a shot just above Rainbow Falls last week:

The water was high, but clear. To me, the challenge is that you can't wade from place to place in the river channel and it's too high to cross. That means you have to bush wack from one fishable run or pool to the next. I spent about three hours on the SJ, but at least half of that time was consumed by hiking through the brush and downed timber. I landed ten fish up to 14" so it was worth the effort.

Dave, thanks for the report and be sure to pass along the kind words to Otis.
    craig

Craig-

Thanks I know that run well - and have seen it with water on it like that - I have a much better idea of what to expect now - appreciate the response-

tight lines-
    Bob V