Thread: Tips on floating the Lower Sac in a pontoon?Also gear suggestions please

Default Tips on floating the Lower Sac in a pontoon?Also gear suggestions please

To start I am reintroducing myself to the world of fly fishing after a 15 year break.......I was planning on heading up to Redding in a few weeks and wanted to bring my 8' pontoon to do a a float trip on the river. I don't want to get my self in trouble as I havent been up there in 15 or so years. Last time I went down the river I don't remember any bad spots but that could just be my bad memory. So basically I just want to know if the pontoon is safe for the Lower Sac(Redding to Anderson) or should I go another route? I have had a few guys tell me it's no big deal for the pontoon on the river, I've just never done it and would like a few pointers before I go if any are needed. I'm also curious as to what patterns I should bring with me. I'll be bringing a 10' 7wt, 9' 6wt, 9' 5wt, I was told for most of whats done on the Sac all I need is a floating line but should I bring and I line for streamers or wooly buggers? I'd like to be as prepaired as possible, thanks in advance for any help given.
    Last edited by Joe Mateas; 07-30-2011 at 05:30 PM.

I would think you would be fine as far as tricky water. It is a challenge fishing/floating solo. There are a few spots where its alot of fun to get out and wade. As far as gear IMHO I would think you would be fine with a 6wt and floating line. Indicator nymphing is pretty much the name of the game on the Sac (long leaders and plenty of lead). Patterns that worked for me were Fox Pupa tan #16 and PMD #16 in the morning Micro May black #18 and Red Midges#20. Fishing really got going after noon.
    Have fun and let us know how you do.

Chris

Default Most important piece for any float

Take and wear a PFD.

With mediocre boat skills and some care you'll be okay. I've seen people doing it on a queen size Coleman inflatable mattress. Pay attention when you get near Anderson River Park (if that's where you're pulling out). It's easy to miss if you're not paying attention. I've also run into people who wondered how they got to Balls Ferry when their friends were going to pick them up at Anderson....long day.

I find myself preferring longer and heavier rods on the Sac (your 10 foot seven for example). Just makes throwing the big indicator, multiple flies and weight easier all day. Extra length is especially good from the 'toon.

Second the poopah (cinnamon #14), also amber wing prince, poxyback yellow stone nymph, red copper john.

Thanks guys thats what I was hoping to hear, I'll most likely just float to wadeable spots, and definitely be wearing my PFD. I guess I'll just leave the 5wt at home and stick to nymphing since I only have one day I want to maximize my time on the water. I'm pulling out at the Deschutes rd bridge, I know the area well and would like a quick walk up stillwater creek. I spent most of my summers up there, both my Dad and Grandmother lived on Stillwater and I spent countless days catching smallmouth bass and squafish on the fly from under it's tree lined banks. I can't wait to get up there, it's the place that set the foundation for all my future fishing. Its almost like embarking on a journey into my past, since Grandma and Dad are both gone its going to bring back alot of memories...

you will be fine with an 8ft pontoon. thats what i have and havent had any trouble. dechutes bridge may be tough to take out at with the river at these flows. i would double check the take out. as far as rod i use a 6wt indicator rod wich is 9'6". your 10' 7wt will probably be yor best bet for indicator fishing. rig your 6wt with a dry fly and have it on standby in case you run into a hatch.

Thanks for the heads up Josh, I'll definitely take your advice and check out the bridge before making a fianl decision on my take out point. 9'6" 6wt huh, I might just have to pick one up.... I like variety. I realy appreciate all the help I've gotten so far, maybe I can make this a succesfull trip after all!

my 6wt is a fly shop signature rod. designed for indicator fishing. the extra length is nice when fishing from my pontoon boat.

One quick suggestion...if you have not fished the sac in awhile i would recomend going on a float (guided or otherwise) with someone who knows the river well..you would gain more info in 8 hours on the river with a guide than you would be able to figure out on your own in years of fishing...if you told the guide straight up that you wanted help figureing out the river most would gladly give you extra pointers.