Thread: Nor Cal guide reports: Fall River, McCloud, LSac, USac, Pit Rivers

Default Nor Cal guide reports: Fall River, McCloud, LSac, USac, Pit Rivers

Evening dry fly fishing continues to be exceptional, particularly on the Fall River where the Hexagenia Mayfly hatch is still going strong. If you have not experienced this event, with big hungry trout sucking down size six dry flies as the sun sets over Mt. Shasta, consider this your complimentary notice to get here now, it won't last much longer. Fly fishers also continue to enjoy one of the best seasons ever on the Lower Sac. Another angler landed several trophy Rainbows this week including one that gained her entry into Shasta Trout's Hawg of Fame! The warm summer weather that has arrived is making wet wading our local rivers a refreshing option. Flows on the McCloud, Upper Sac and Pit Rivers have reached their summer levels with miles of river to fish in near solitude. The afternoon bite has remained surprisingly good, particularly for strong waders fishing fast water, though many anglers are opting to fish early and late and nap midday.

On the Fall River some black Caddis are emerging providing opportunities to nymph and swing emergers to actively feeding fish, prior to the Hex's popping at last light. Guides have been fishing split days, getting started early in the morning to take advantage of the Trico Spinner fall and a few lingering PMD's, then taking a break in the afternoon to nap, tie flies and prepare for the evening bonanza.

The fishing on the Lower Sac continues to amaze us this season. The bite has been steady all day. A few large fish were landed recently including some lunkers with near non stop action on small Mayfly and Caddis nymphs for medium sized Rainbows (in the teens). Some evenings we've seen a decent dry fly grab on the Caddis.

Despite or perhaps because of the glacial silt, the McCloud has been fishing very well. Clarity on the McCloud is about two to five feet and has been varying. Fish are noticeably less wary than usual for this late in the season, and surprisingly grabby, even for dry flies midday. The color makes it much easier for less experienced anglers to cast to fish without spooking them. We've been finding trout using a variety of techniques including a few exceptional fish on dries and streamers. The evening hatch has been great some evenings, not so on others, dependent on finding water with fish working, mostly small emerging mayflies and spinners.

The Upper Sac continues to drop and at current flows most all of the summer water and crossings are accessible. The new flow regime on the Pit River has been put in place and many anglers will need to relearn it. Fortunately our guides know the river well and have enjoyed some spectacular days with very few other anglers around.

While evening dry fly fishing remains excellent, hatches on our local freestones have become compressed to just before dark in some areas, while others get going as soon as the sun leaves the water. Look for some PMD's, Rusty Spinners and both Black and Tan Caddis. Recent fishing pressure on all of the local freestones has dropped off dramatically and it is easy to find undisturbed water for yourself.

For a complete report with pictures visit our website. Do drop us a line if you are headed our way whether you are seeking a guide, or if you prefer to fish on your own, we'll share all we can about current conditions. We hope to hear from you soon!
    Craig Nielsen

Thanks Craig for the report! I love hearing about thr McCloud, that water is the best the state has to offer. In all my word of fly fishing The "Mac" is the best hands down, (HOLY WATER!). Best of luck and long live the Big Bug of Fall!

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Where on the river is the hatch as of last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Nielsen View Post
    Evening dry fly fishing continues to be exceptional, particularly on the Fall River where the Hexagenia Mayfly hatch is still going strong. If you have not experienced this event, with big hungry trout sucking down size six dry flies as the sun sets over Mt. Shasta, consider this your complimentary notice to get here now, it won't last much longer.

Default Hatch Location?

Hibbygibi:
    Hatches are currently not progressing up or down the river but are a bit inconsistent. The hatch might be great one night and short lived the next. Sometimes the hatch is great in one run and near non existent in the next run upstream that was awesome just the night before? If I don't see fish rising early in the evening in a run, I'll often keep moving until I hopefully find a run that has it going. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, hope it works for you on occasion.
    Craig Nielsen

Maybe i should be more specific.. Is it above the confluence, if so how far up river have you seen them?
    Thanks

Default Hex Hatch on Fall River

Hibbygibbi:
    Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought your question was about local freestones, rather than Fall River. Hex hatch is throughout the river with bugs even popping at Circle 7 though best fishing continues near confluence. Hatch was great three nights ago, not as good last night, guessing we won't be seeing bugs for too much longer. Best to get it while it is still happening!
    Craig Nielsen

Thanks for the heads up..

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Nielsen View Post
    Hibbygibbi:
    Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought your question was about local freestones, rather than Fall River. Hex hatch is throughout the river with bugs even popping at Circle 7 though best fishing continues near confluence. Hatch was great three nights ago, not as good last night, guessing we won't be seeing bugs for too much longer. Best to get it while it is still happening!