Thread: East Walker and Hot Creek

Default East Walker and Hot Creek

Fished EW on Nv, side on Monday morning. Got fish on dries and under the cator. Stone Dead Stone still my favorite big dry on EW with an orange Turck's Tarantula coming in a close second. Had browns and rainbows on them. Run a sz 16 CJ as a dropper if you like. We each got 16" bows and Dave missed a bigger Brown on dries with some smaller fish thrown in. Biggest fish came on CJ dropper, never landed it but it was a 18-20" bow out out 8' of water.

We stopped on Ca. side on way back home on tues afternoon. Way to many mosquitos up there. We didn't see a mosquito on Nv side but I know there out. Bring plenty of deet!

Fished Hot Creek monday afternoon and tuesday morning. A.M. 1/2 day guides trips all leave water by 1pm and then there is a lot less pressure. Flipside is a lot more wind. Didn't see much surface activity so nymphed. Did well with San Juan followed by scud. Fished from noon to 3pm. Out of over 15 fish to hand two best were two 14-16" browns and 2 14" rainbows. Browns ate the worm and bows on the scud for the most part.

Tues morning got to HC at 8:15 and it was a zoo. Nymphing was slower so switched to hopper pattern. Got 2 nice browns and a rainbow to look but no takers. At 1pm HC looked vacant but time for us to go.

EW was at 360 and looks great.
    HC was at 102. Fast water. Still see a lot of people (idiots) wading HC. This amazes me with the potential to spread the NZMS.

Had a great time!

Sorry, big bow came out of 8 inches of water, not 8ft.

Sounds like a good time Chris!Hope you're having a great summer!See you at the big lake this fall!

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Default Sweet.

Chris, sounds like you nailed it pretty well... it's always refreshing to hear of other anglers' experiences on our local water - especially skilled anglers such as yourself!! Ironically, I just responded to your email - sounds like you had fun enough to come back down next week?

It's pretty good around here right now folks!!

Sorry I've been a bit shy on fish reports for our local region for months. I have been super slammed busy lately (supposedly this is a good thing for a guide? although I'm starting to wonder why)

Love the keen observation regarding HC after 1pm... funny that is when I like to show up on HC for that very reason!!! Wind? The wind is your friend!!!! Especially on a downstream presentation...

And the mosquitos on EW (CA side) and Upper O (above Benton Crossing) are FEROCIOUS DEVILS right now!! DEET UP!! And wear the new "bug away" clothes, they seem to work, actually ok.

When I have a moment I will try and give a good report (in a separate post) for the other waters I've been on lately for the Mammoth Lakes Region - Many are fishing really well right now.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com