Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truckee 7/23

Default The "BIG T"

The Truckee rewards those that are patient with her. Like Jim said, one day can be your best day of fishing, your next day can be nada.

Default Good stuff Jim.

So true, all of it.

Been carrying a pair of swimmer's goggles for years. Some mid-days I'll spend more time swimmin' than fishin'!!

And what exactly do you guys look for when your swimming? I will be heading back up Saturday morning and my thing is just learning where to access the River. I am trying to avoid crowds as the peace is partly why I go but catching fish wins that battle by far. I picked up a map at mountain hardware so maybe that will be of some help. Also, what exactly do I need to fish license wise once I cross into Nevada?

Nevada has short term licenses and year round ones you can buy. Also youll need a trout stamp. Year round licenses were somewhere around 90$ if memory serves, short terms ones(1-2 days) were around 15-20 and you can choose extra days beyond that around 7$ a day. Nevada Drug stores, sporting good stores, Kmart all have them. I think I got mine last year at Kens Sporting Goods in Bridgeport.

Quote Originally Posted by ownfl4g View Post
    And what exactly do you guys look for when your swimming?
    Look at everything. Learn what kind of structure is holding fish (it changes throughout the year depending on species). Watch how the fish react to different food. You'll be surprised at how often they break "the rules" (many times they not on the bottom or edges but are feeding mid water column in the fastest current, or are only taking bugs that are NOT drifting drag free, most terrestrials are taken when drowned, etc).

Default Hey ownfl4g-

Later in the summer, particularly when it gets hot, fishing can slow waaaaay down, so swimming, rock/cliff jumping, etc...is a good way to cool off and to educate ones self a little bit about life underwater.

Swimming provides an oppurtunity to view a fish's environment and it's habits. One can learn about the topography(?) of the stream underwater, do a quick bug survey, find the best fish lies, learn new drifts for your presentation, ...etc.

It is quite a learning experience. It really is a different world down there! Fish that will flee at any sign of movement above surface, will sometimes let you swim right up to them below surface. Kinda cool.

One wonders what kind of pix one could take with all these new fangled cameras?

Try it, it's fun and educational. Swimmers goggles are cheap, light and easy to stash in your vest. It will also lessen your learning curve.
    Last edited by JGB; 07-27-2011 at 07:27 AM.