Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truckee 7/23

Default Truckee 7/23

So I have been lucky enough to try my luck on the Truckee that last two weekends. I have caught fish on the Truckee before with a guide and did fairly well. Last weekend I sadly got skunked but this weekend was another story! I caught three fish but it was a great feeling when I hooked that first fish. The morning was real slow again until I put three more split shots on my line and first cast back out I got this one on Gilligan's caddis pupa fly. Sure its no monster but again, first fish on the Truckee without a guide!

Default ...a wild thing!

"...its no monster but again, first fish on the Truckee without a guide!"

ownfl4g---Hey, it is a wild trout! Put your time in on the BT and progressively you'll learn some of its secrets. Relative to weight/lead, while sub-surface fishing; I like to advise anglers:

"...when in doubt, add..."

Frank R. Pisciotta

Default 7/24 on the truckee

Another day - a different story:

Nobody caught a damn thing last night and there were a bunch of us - some on foot, others in various watercraft, a few gear chuckers. I myself tried various caddis pupa, and caddis/may dries. Very light hatch, no rises seen anywhere - in sum - just a whole lot of nothing. Fished Hirschdale between Juniper Creek to upstream of the interstate crossing a ways. Plenty of company, and nice weather anyway.

Just thought everyone should know before they mob the place up any more than it is, thinking it is on fire. It ain't necessarily.

Last night sucked. Good talking to Andy Burk in his new place and nice to meet bigjim.

I happened to find a nice area on the BT and didn't see anyone else all day, the little Truckee was a mad house though...big mistake going there on my part.

Default Timing..

Quote Originally Posted by ownfl4g View Post
    I happened to find a nice area on the BT and didn't see anyone else all day, the little Truckee was a mad house though...big mistake going there on my part.
    ownf49---Looking for rising trout on the BT Sunday at dusk ...nada. I was in the "canyon" yesterday, mid-afternoon and saw four (4) vehicles parked. Water is a nice pea-green & serious water flow for wading.

Monday night on LT for the last hour...nada also. It is all about right place & time; sometimes you hit & sometimes you don't.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Last night sucked. Good talking to Andy Burk in his new place and nice to meet bigjim.
    Hey, that fish "belongs" to the GGFC!

Looks like fun!

_SHig

Most folks that live/fish here get spanked from time to time.
    It's partly what drives us, and keeps us here.
    These waters are a notch or so harder than some.
    Difficulty can stem partly from damn release changes.
    These can mean abrupt flow level changes, or temp changes too.
    These can spoil your day. Some knowledge of local waters helps you avoid this.
    And...not all water is created equal.
    The bugs aren't spread evenly, and some water holds fish only at certain flows.
    The highly pressured fish are not totally stupid either.
    A reliance on only one approach to flyfishing can limit success as well.
    Deciding at home while packing, how it will go down, is not a good plan.
    Take a temp, watch the air, do a bug seine.
    If what I'm doing isn't working, I move or change it up.
    I've said before, that many years ago I took Ralph's advice to swim the river.
    Most serious fishermen should take this advice here. (Bring a mask.)
    You'll quit wishing, and get to fishing.
    Hang tuff, raise your game here and reap the rewards.
    Good job Terry!

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 07-26-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Great work! Sorry, wrong word Well done!

Down here on the NV side the water is getting more friendly though you'll still be hard pressed to find somewhere to cross. The bank is starting to show itself again, and you can even get around the willows. Evening hatch is going bonkers with saddle caddis, mahogany spinners and little yellow stones (these seem to be a serious size or two bigger than normal). Dry fly is shorted lived but on in the side waters, many of the typical pools are still too swift. Many have changed and there may even be a boulder or two where there weren't before. Takes some searching but it's worth it. GL!

I gave the meadow section of the LT a try yesterday, Monday, but it was too high and fast. Gave up and went over to the Big T. Walked across to opposite the sewer plant and fished the pocket water.

Fished nymphs with lots of weight and was rewarded with a 14"er. Nothing more in the afternoon. Had to stop frequently for the flotillas of inner tubes and rafts bearing bikini-clad barbies and their beer guzzling beaus.

About 5:30 I was about to give up when I started to see rises. Switched to dries, an EC caddis, and managed to land 2 out of four takes. Finally had to pack it in at 6:30 for the drive home.

Probably my best day on the Truckee.