Thread: 5 wt for striper

Default 5 wt for striper

Would a 5 wt rod be able to handle striper? I'm not ready to invest a striper rod yet, but do have a 5 wt. I am planning to go Los Vaqueros this weekend and plan to try it out. I do have sinking line and will be fishing from shore and possibly from a boat on sunday.

How long should my leader be? any fly recommendations? I do have some clouser minnows.

Thanks for your input!

I would say no for a couple reasons. First, most 5wts don't cast weighted clousers very well. Second, if you are lucky enough to hook up a good fish there would be a significant likelihood that you would bust your rod, especially at boat angles. If you were wading in skinny water and targeting little 12 inch schoolies with small deceivers then sure.

east coast bass using an 8wt

Exciting photo.....thanks..........where are you on the east coast in the picture?

A 5 weight rod is too small for normal Striper fishing but it you use small streamers on your sinking line with about 4 to 6 feet of leader to around 0x to 2x you might have some luck.

**Around here most use #7, 8 and 9 weight rods for Stripers, more to throw the larger flies and cut through the wind.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

That shot was taken mid-June on Martha's Vinyard. Sight casting in skinny water with deceivers.

Rich

Hey Fishyme,
    I have several 8 wts, if you want an in-expensive 8 wt. to get you started, give me a call. I'll even trade it out for something you might not need anymore. Its just sitting not getting used.
    Its a graphite Cortland, used twice. Cost was around $130. new. Sell it for $50. or trade.
    P.M. me if you have an intrest.

Rockman

Thanks for offer. When I do plan to buy one, I'm willing to spend about $400.

Like Bill said, you might be ok with smaller streamers (clouser). Never hurts to try it out.
    Just hope you don't hook into a double-digit fish. Those fish will flat out whip you.

My first striper was about 12 lbs, on my 6 wt. I felt a bit undergunned, but if you have experience fighting fish, I think it would be doable, especially from a boat if you know how to maneuver and fight the fish at the same time. Try it out, if you hook a big fish and feel like you are going to break something, give him some slack and try to get him to spit the hook, or straighten your rod and break it off.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Quote Originally Posted by FishyMe View Post
    Thanks for offer. When I do plan to buy one, I'm willing to spend about $400.
    I know you may have your heart set on a "$400" fly rod, but as little as $100-$125 can be spent on a pre-owned TFO TiCrX #8 and you're in the 'game'. Keep checking classifieds or eBay.