Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bluegrass Special

Default The Bluegrass Special

This is the story of a special rod and a special place and a request made by my father. Adam Trahan and Mike Shay worked on this bamboo rod for me. I wanted something special to remember my Dad. He was ill with alzheimer's disease and had been in a weaking state for a number of years. Adam started the rod and Mike agreed to finish it for me. My Dad passed away back in october and my family planned a trip to Wyoming to spread his ashes on his favortie stream, the Bluegrass.

My wife, Joy and son Luke travelled with me to Denver and then up to Wheatland, Wyoming, my Dad's home town. We stayed with my cousin and looked at Chug Creek. It flows through my cousin's ranch, but the water was high and dirty. Luke told me, "if you put your Dad in here he will be really pissed!" So we decided it would be best to honor his wish and put his ashes in the Bluegrass. We drove to check out the conditions and it was high, but was clear enough to fish. We stopped and I made one cast and got this brown right away.

It was a good omen and we made a call to our friends who own the Boyd ranch and we made a trip up there the next day to check out the conditions.

We drove up and stopped at the Joy hole, named after my wife who loves to catch trout in the easiest places. She proceeded to catch the first trout out of that hole even before I was rigged up.

Here is the nice bow she got. Luke got started and hooked a nice one that took him down stream and into some willows. It was a three person job, but Luke eventuall landed the nice healthy bow.

I finally got rigged up and tried out the new TFO BVK rod. Wtih the high water we fished heavy buggers and streamers. I got some nice fish that day.

We had a great day on the Bluegrass so after a nice cigar and a cold one we decided this would be the perfect place to spread Dad's ashes.

That evening my sisters joined us. Ashley from San Diego, she is named after a nearby creek, ashley creek. Kai from Virginia, she is named after the ocean, Kai. and me well I am named after my Dad, Don Sr. We all went back up to the ranch and the Joy hole and had a nice picnic and fished some.

Ashley's husband Marvin and my two nieces Kalei and Lauren joined us for the day. Every one caught fish and took pictures and enjoyed the beautiful day. I got to finally fish the bamboo rod for the first time.

Here is the first fish I caught on the rod. It cast like a dream and fought the bow like a champ. The rod was deeply bent and still had the backbone to land the healthy bow.
    I caught many more nice trout with the rod and was very pleased, but it was time for lunch. I found some of my favorite beer, Leinenkugels at the store, so I was pretty stoked.

Then it was time for the business at hand. We all gathered at the bank and took turns spreading my father's ashes and saying some kind words to remember him and this his favorite spot in the world.

It was a sad but beautiful experience for us all.

Here I am with my sisters, Ashley and Kai.

After the nice funeral it was back to fishing!

Kai had a broken wrist, so I helped her a little. She got this nice brown on Dad's rod.

It was a beautiful day and a lovely memory. I hope Luke brings his son here one day. I hope I will get to share that memory as well. Thanks Adam and Mike for a fine rod and a great way to honor my father, Don Memmer Sr.
    Don Memmer

Very moving report Don. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

jay

A very touching report. What a great way to honor your dad. I'm sure he's proud of those fish you caught too!! thanks for sharing

Thanks for that Don.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

thanks for sharing this
    nice report
    Tim Warriner

"What is most emphatic in angling is made so by the long silences . . . ."
    Thomas McGuane

Default Remembering Loved Ones

I think this is about as nice a thing anyone could do for their dad. You and your family will always remember your dad every time they come to fish or visit the Bluegrass. A great way to keep memories and stories alive to be passed on down to future generations.

I'm hoping my kids will scatter my ashes at Kahaluu and everytime they visit they'll be swimming with dad and the turtles again.
    ........TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Great memories old and new. What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. The most touching fish report I have read.
    R.I.P Don

Thumbs up Bluegrass....

Aloha Don,.... I'm very impressed with the report and the gesture for your father. With your family and in a beautiful setting. Couldn't be a more fitting tribute....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Touching story and awesome pics.
    We believe in nothing, Lebowski. Nothing. And tomorrow we come back and we cut off your chonson.

Wonderful pics and such a moving story Don! Glad to see you enjoying yourself on the mainland. I espexially enjoyed the Leinenkugel and Montecristo pics! Blessings to you and your family. LUke is growing up to be quite a sturdy lad! Hope to see you in the Big Island again some time.
    Regards,
    Joe

Fishing is like hockey...ya gotta get it in the net!