Thread: Anybody fished the Rube this year?

Default Anybody fished the Rube this year?

How are flows on the Rubicon, above and below Elicotts? Also, any recommendations on what bugs to use?

Default flows are great at Ellicots

Fished from the bridge up a few times in the last couple of weeks. Flows are great and water is very clear, a bit too clear honestly, so being sneaky is pretty key. Smaller pools often wont yield much more after you catch one fish. Most all the fish we caught were small (the BIG ONE was maybe all of 12-13"), but a nice canyon to spend some time scampering around in.

On the major downside, there is some sort of group of kids (must be a christian camp thing or something) that has been pretty much mobbing the place each time I went. We're talking probably 30-50 people, and a bunch of them sort of "canyoneer" their way downstream at the end of the day back to the bridge. Kind of a drag to be out in a beautiful canyon with no one around and then the shouting, squealing, and splashing takes over... nice, but somewhat oblivious people.
    Just so you know what to expect, not to tell you not to go.
    JB

Thanks for the info, Jason. Sounds like you ran into the mob upstream of the bridge? We'll do our best to avoid 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Fished from the bridge up a few times in the last couple of weeks. Flows are great and water is very clear, a bit too clear honestly, so being sneaky is pretty key. Smaller pools often wont yield much more after you catch one fish. Most all the fish we caught were small (the BIG ONE was maybe all of 12-13"), but a nice canyon to spend some time scampering around in.

On the major downside, there is some sort of group of kids (must be a christian camp thing or something) that has been pretty much mobbing the place each time I went. We're talking probably 30-50 people, and a bunch of them sort of "canyoneer" their way downstream at the end of the day back to the bridge. Kind of a drag to be out in a beautiful canyon with no one around and then the shouting, squealing, and splashing takes over... nice, but somewhat oblivious people.
    Just so you know what to expect, not to tell you not to go.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Thanks for the info, Jason. Sounds like you ran into the mob upstream of the bridge? We'll do our best to avoid 'em.
    Yes, they hike up a mile or so to a bunch of really sweet swimming/fishing holes for the middle part of the day then head downstream back to the bridge. Still worth going, just don't be surprised if you get swamped for a bit with a bunch of folks...
    Almost forgot about your question on bugs: it's been slightly different each time and depends a bit on time of day, but honestly being sneaky and getting a really nice presentation seemed to be what made more of a difference in the catch rate than what flies were being presented to them.
    JB

I'm gonna guess the "folks" are from Young Life.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

A quick report from this weekend on the Rubicon...we fished the pools about 2 miles upstream of Ellicotts and found plentiful small, willing rainbows. Trophy fish went about 8 inches. That is indeed a beautiful canyon.

This report would be unremarkable if not for being my first success with a fly rod. I decided to try fly fishing this spring after 30 years on conventional gear, and it felt great to finally hook a few fish.

Hot dry flies were anything yellow in about a sz 14. I got lots of hits on a yellow stimulator, but nothing stuck. All fish brought to hand by me were on a pt nymph on a dropper behind the stimmy. One in our party fished deep in the bigger holes using bait, but no big browns to be had.

Thanks for the report Neil.

I achieved my first success with a fly rod on that stream also. Mine was close to 30 years ago.

That canyon has had a hold on me ever since.

Welcome to the club.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.