Thread: Courtesy in a Fishing Guide - Example: Craig Nielsen

Default Courtesy in a Fishing Guide - Example: Craig Nielsen

Was fishing Upper Sac July 13 in the evening waiting for The Hatch with two friends. Craig Nielsen arrived with two clients, quietly introduced himself and asked me if we would mind his party working the tailout (100 feet downstream from us). That made it easy to say "Sure, go ahead, thanks for asking."

Let's remind each other to behave the same way. It's what makes this sport so special.

Default Way cool!

Isn't that just what it's all about right there in a nutshell. I'm always stoked when I have a nice positive polite interaction like that with other fellow fisher folk, so much so that it inspires me to try even harder to pass that good vibe along to others...
    Nice to hear, and I've always liked Craig's fishing reports too

Craig is the man! He knows those waters well and he takes into consideration that everybody's outdoor experience counts. Even if they aren't his clients.

Todd Gillihan (owner/guide)
    West Slope Outfitters
    tjgillihan@gmail.com

Default Wholehearted agreement...

Once in 2009, and again in 2010, while spey fishing/wading the Irongate section of the Klamath, and having other outfitter's boat's not only fish through my water but sometimes anchor in it, both Craig and a second boat of his had their clients reel up and then rowed BEHIND me so as not to disturb my water.

Craig's a class act all the way.

Sounds like a great guide. Here is the opposite mentality I experienced today:

miles of beach to spread out on, and I am casting flies into one particular seam of current. A plugger walks down the beach and then stands about 20 feet behind me and just to the right side and starts hucking his plug over my head. If I cast even slightly left my backcast could knock his teeth out, if I cast slightly right I would snag his line. Makes you want to reel up and leave, confrontation on the water is no fun, especially when some people are so blatantly rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren E View Post
    Sounds like a great guide. Here is the opposite mentality I experienced today:

miles of beach to spread out on, and I am casting flies into one particular seam of current. A plugger walks down the beach and then stands about 20 feet behind me and just to the right side and starts hucking his plug over my head. If I cast even slightly left my backcast could knock his teeth out, if I cast slightly right I would snag his line. Makes you want to reel up and leave, confrontation on the water is no fun, especially when some people are so blatantly rude.
    Unfortunately, 'beach' fishing for stripers has always been practiced in the way you experienced yesterday. I absolutely love to chuck metal 100+ yards to fish on the 'outside', especially busting fish, but unfortunately, with all the improved forms of communication, solice during a 'run' is all but impossible. So, what people learn is that they migrate to other 'rods' on the beach, and not look for signs of other fish..... what they don't realize is that when the fish aren't 'running', and seldom do they do these days with so little fish left, that they need to focus on 'trough' fish and spread out. Ha!, just think, if you had caught a fish with the plugger off your shoulder, you would've started a run and had all kinds of company!

On the flip side, I've taken part in hour long runs with a few of my friends and other good 'sticks' prior to cell phones or when people just shut off their phones or fog made it impossible for anyone to see what's is happening...... It's a beautiful choreographed dance of a dozen anglers all hooked up to big stripers at the same time working over or under lines to land fish..... It's flat out exciting.

It's refreshing to hear about courtesy, not just on the 'water'. Loss of manners is the one thing that most long time grade school teachers cite as something that has changed dramatically over the years..... it's sad, but true.

Default Thanks for the kudos

JNeisheim:

Thank you much for the kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you and chat a bit about the fishing that evening. We also appreciated your generosity in sharing the run with us that night as we had already been to two other locations which were taken.

I has been my experience that as a group it is pretty difficult to find a better one than fly fishers. Out of the roughly 2,000 guests I've fished with in the past twenty years, the number I wouldn't fish with on my next day off I can count on one hand.

As some say, and I agree, sport doesn't build character as much as reveal it. The qualities that make for an enjoyable fishing experience most often attracts good characters and brings out the best in all of us.

Thanks again, I hope to have the opportunity to return the kind favor soon. Until then, wishing you many tight lines and singing reels!
    Craig Nielsen