Thread: Oregon summer run late July

Default Oregon summer run late July

My fishing buddy is headed to Portland in late July for work and I am thinking of meeting up with him to look for some of those summer run fish I have only heard about. We will be wading and swinging behind 10 and 11 foot switch rods. We are certainly willing to drive outside the Portland area (the fact I will be driving from the Bay Area is proof of that). Was thinking of the lower Deschutes but I'm afraid we might be a month too early. Any suggestions as to rivers that might be productive at that time would be most appreciated. Thanks -Rob
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Andris View Post
    My fishing buddy is headed to Portland in late July for work and I am thinking of meeting up with him to look for some of those summer run fish I have only heard about. We will be wading and swinging behind 10 and 11 foot switch rods. We are certainly willing to drive outside the Portland area (the fact I will be driving from the Bay Area is proof of that). Was thinking of the lower Deschutes but I'm afraid we might be a month too early. Any suggestions as to rivers that might be productive at that time would be most appreciated. Thanks -Rob
    I'm in the process of moving to the Portland area from the San Fran area. So, I'm still getting used to the rivers. But, I think you'll find that late July would be good on the Deschuttes.

I was just fishing there a couple of weeks ago and it was just the beginning of the run. I saw some steelhead, and the nets were in the river. I didn't catch anything except trout. But, by the time the end of July comes around, I think you'll be good. I've heard a few good reports.

You could also try the Sandy.

Check this out for a good place to start: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/willamette/
    Last edited by speyfool; 07-11-2011 at 03:03 PM.

might look to Southern Washington such as the Kalama

The Deschutes will have some fish at that time but I would fish the willamette tribs (IE North Santiam ,South Santiam ,Mckenzie before the D.

The reliscencing for Pelton Dam on the Deschutes required Pge to build a themal curtain on the dam. This curtain allows them to draw water from different depts to control the temperature of the deschutes. What this has created is a river that is warmer at the mouth than the Columbia which discourages the straying from the Idaho bound fish from entering the Deschutes. The deschutes water temp at moody will be approaching 70 degrees (Lethal to steelhead that has been stressed) Imho I would wait till later in the
    year when the river cools to fish the Deschutes.

I like the North Santiam the best because there is tons of access many great runs to swing a fly.

Thanks very much Shawn and Rick.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

dont waste your time with going to the Kalama. There was a big fish kill at the Hatchery 2 years ago where all of the smolts that would be coming back as adults now died. They were able to plant some smolts from other hatcheries but it wont be good fishing.