Thread: MF Feather Flows?

Default MF Feather Flows?

Hey guys, used to fish the MF Feather in the Graeagle-Quincy area years ago but haven't been up in some time. Would like to run up this summer, but have no idea what normal flows should be. Is it still blown?

I'd dig any info from some of the guys in the area, as I have some good memories of that river and hope to make it back. Thanks.
    Last edited by KJE; 06-30-2011 at 09:58 AM.

The MF Feather is flowing pretty high but is very fishable right now in the Graeagle area.We've been finding fish near the creek inflows and in the tailouts in the evening.Good hatches of PMD's,golden stones, Little Yellow Sallies and caddis are happening daily.Nymphing is taking fish before the hatch starts and dries are working when the hatch gets going.A gear guy landed and kept a 24" brown near Camp Layman last week.

Feel free to call me for more info.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Default big brown

Thats a bummer when people keep big fish like that in a river like the MFFR. That is a big breeder and producer. I fish that area a lot.

A 7 pound brown was C&R near Plumas Pines on Tuesday on a black wooley bugger. My client yesterday had a great day stripping the bugger in areas that had slack side water. Flows are still high but very fishable. Water temps ran 55-60 degrees. A few bugs out, and no risers between 9am -2pm. I'm so blown away at the flows, I have never ever seen this before on the MFFR for the month of July!

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Thanks for the updates, guys. Bummer that someone kept that brown. I'll make it one of these days and most definitely post a report.

Default Middle Fork Feather Conditions

A buddy and I are thinking about heading up early Thursday morning for a day trip. I've done some research but the Middle Fork is uncharted territory for us.
    Looks like flows have continued to go down a little bit more each day and I was thinking about fishing some of the water between Sloat and Nelson Point. I'm assuming everything below Nelson Creek is still too big.
    Any facts, opinions and/or speculation would be greatly appreciated.

I guided the river above Sloat yesterday and the flows are high for this time of year but very fishable.Water temps were in the low 60's, but there weren't many bugs out and about.I only saw a few little yellow sallies ovipositing and of course tons of midges.Only had one grab on a dry but hooked some fish indicator nymphing.I have been having pretty decent action swinging soft hackles in the riffles.

Flows below Nelson Pt are still big.

Best of luck!

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"