Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switch Rod frustration

You may consider contacting Steve Godshall he knows that rod and can hook you up with lines and appropriate tips. I talked to him about a line for that exact rod but then ended up having Bob Meiser build me a switch rod. Got the "scandit" line Steve designed for it too, it's my most versatile rod. The right line makes a huge difference.

Smile Beulah Fly Rod Info

My name is Bryce Tedford, I am the sales rep. for Beulah Fly Rods in CA. Saw your question & wanted to help out if I could. Although practice & lessons will definately help this is more of a fishing tool issue. The 4/5 Classic SW is a great rod however it is more for dry line fishing with floating or light tips. It is also a great nymphing or overhand tool with a weight forward line in the 6-7 range. What would definately help is a Skagit style line about 22.5' in the 300grn range would turn over a 10' sinking tip much better. The scandi line you are using is light & only works well with light 10' poly leaders. However, the rod itself is still light, it is like using a 4wt dry fly single hand rod for Steelheading. I would keep the 4/5 for trout on rivers, lakes, nymphing, etc. & get a 6/7 Switch or Spey Rod, with a Skagit style head that will easily turn over heavier tips & flies such as 10' T-11 or more. Let me know if you have any more questions, I would be happy to give you some advice. Feel free to email me at trutcha@hotmail.com or respond here, I just dont check this too often but check email daily. Hope I helped a little, please dont hesitate to contact me.
    Bryce Tedford, Beulah FLy Rods

Now we are getting somewhere!!!

Bryce, Outstanding! I will email you soon. Also thanks everyone for your imput. This is a great Fourm with solid fisherman willing to help

Frank

Firstly I'd forget "D" loops and "Spey", the switch rods are definitely for Scandi operations, which is very similar to, the casting one does with 9 footers and shooting heads. Like overhead two hand stuff.
    Actually its not "very similar" but exactly the same, except that the rod is longer and the GDE is a bit heavier in real terms.
    Lines have longer heads, to fit into the 3x rod length criteria. The idea that switch rods are for SH and Dh use might work if the things are about 10' but
    get into a 11 plus footer and its DH all the way.
    I find that using longer heads in the 45' class reduces the running line length to reasonable proportions and the heavier heads reduce false casting to just one huck and you will get a very easy 80 plus feet piece of cake.
    I use SA 45' heads, in Sinking, Inter and Floaters and 50lb Monic GsP running line. My Switch is a 11'6 TFO 9#, which has a GDE of 500/700gns, which suits the 45' 600/750gn heads I use.
    Just to point out how well these things work, I was up at Cape Cuvier in West Australia a few months ago, trying to fish off the rocks, but it was blowing a 30 knot westerly, which puts the wind right on ones left shoulder. Its a location on the west coast, like. I was casting the Switch directly north, off a rock, and it, the 45' 750gn S7 sinker, went the regulation 80 feet, and didn't even get effected by the wind.
    Suprised the hell out of me. I did 3 casts, just to prove it could be done and quit.
    It would have been impossible to cast a 9 footer SH outfit.
    MaxG

If you read this David, give me a bell. OK.

Default David

Max:
    If you're referring to David L, he is taking an extended break from the Kiene board.
    He was frustrated with some of the negative posting and attitude that he was seeing.
    I miss his wit and wisdom and experiences. If you like, I can PM or email
    contact info for him.
    Our San Diego beaches are receiving some huge swells from the New Zealand
    region the past few days. Some 12 - 15 foot waves. Surfers are loving it.
    Lifeguards are earning their pay. I fished this AM @ Blacks and did well on surf perch.

Sorry about hi-jacking the thread.

Best to our "down-under" mates,

Larry S

Default Lets meet at the river

Frank, call me to meet me on the water and let me watch your cast and we'll find the problem (under-grained line, Slow stroke, too much anchor, etc.) within a couple casts. I'll recommend some practice exercises. Then... practice, practice, practice. It'll take no more than 10 mins. JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Default Switch Rod Rigging

When rigging a switch rod you really need 3 setups. I fish with a Sage Z Axis 11'0" six weight. The set up that works for me is;

(1) An integrated line to enable mending and for fishing with indicators. I started with a Rio Altlantic Salmon/Steelhead line, then tried an over lined Rio Nymph line ,an 8 weight, then a Rio 5/6 Switch Line, and finally a Beulah Elixer 330 grain integrated line. Who wins? the Beulah Elixer.

(2) An airflo running line teamed up with an Airflo Scandi 330 grain head. This head is perfect for fishing rivers like the Lower Yuba and the American. It casts great and you can toss flies up to about 2 inches. If you use Versileaders you can get down when you need to. I carry a full wallet of Rio Versileaders.

(3) An Airflo running line and an Airflow Skagit 360 grain head. This setup allows you to cast big flies over 3", fire off casts when you have little room to set up a D Loop, and get down deep. I carry a full wallet of MOW light tips to use as cheaters and with the tips they get down.

With a setup similar to this matched to your particular switch or spey rod you can fish anywhere.

Get down to Kienes and they will match you up right.

You can check out an article on my blog at www.flyfishingtraditions.blogspot.com and find an article "Scandi vs Skagit" to get a little more in depth look at the differences between the two line options.

Good Luck!

Might want to make that last one a skagit switch. Really nice for in tight work and still carries the big tips....

Default Switch heads

I started with a switch 5110 first salmon/steelhead didnt work for me then went to rio switch great for indacator then rio scandi versi tip short with s/a speciality sharkskin running this setup has helped me a lot being a first season speyer,skigit short is next for this rod,I have a 7 wt. With airflo compact heads both scandi and skigit I put a t-8 on and bombed out long floating leader better, these short heads seem to help me being new to this,pulling out of the water more slowly helps me feel the load a lot better now if I can get anchor in the right spot,when it is it feels good,just wanted to get in the act,thanks Don p.s. The 5 wt. Versi tip short seems to work on my 8wt. Single hand, running line for the 7wt. Spey 12.6 is airflo ridge
    Last edited by Don townsend; 12-02-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling