Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: stripers in the surf.

There was actually a pretty nice striper in the Newport area not too long ago caught on squid carolina rigged. It supposedly weighed in at just over 35 lbs.
    That is a beast for down here.
    Guys do get them down in OC and even the SD area occasionally.
    No idea about south of the border.

We bump into them once in a while in the Ventura and Santa Barbara areas.
    They are down here but a pretty rare occurrence regardless in Southern California.
    Once in a blue moon you'll run into one while blind fishing for perch or croaker.

-Paul

Default stripers

Was a nice white sea bass bite off of Black's Beach a week or so ago. We surf fish
    several days each week at the Glider Port and were seeing all-nite boats just
    off-shore. Many of these were probably after squid in La Jolla and Scripps
    underwater canyons. Word of mouth had it that white sea bass were in the area,
    as well. Friend caught a 50-lb+ off his kayak off Solana Beach. Supposed to have
    been a 70-lb-er off Black's caught.
    We have a white sea bass hatchery/nursery near the Carlsbad power plant - Hubbs-
    Sea World. They plant the juvies in bays and , hopefully, when they mature, they
    migrate to the open ocean. Maybe, it's working. Unfortunately, they don't stray
    within our reach.
    Best,
    Larry S

This year has definitely been a banner year for WSB.
    Saw a report from a guy that got a double recently from his yak in Malibu.
    Seen a few reports of guys catching them from the sand as well.
    More than normal at least.
    The guys with more mobility in their boats have been doing very well.

I haven't had the luck to get one landed on terra firma yet, but have sight casted to some brutes in ridiculously close.
    Amazing the shallow structure you'll sometimes find those guys cruising in.
    They do come within reach at times, you just have to get lucky

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Loren:
    Great shot and nice fish. Almost out of the "schoolie" category, right? Wish we had
    them in the San Diego surf. Getting some regular catches of several types of croakers
    right now.
    Best,
    Larry S
    hey thanks Larry! I remember a Cal Fly Fisher cover that had a big spotfin croaker on it, much bigger than the yellowfins I've seen photos of....very cool-looking fish.

I don't think there is a crazier catch than Mark's 35 lb WSB off the beach 30 miles north of the golden gate...on a little surfperch fly!

There used to be a resident population of WSB in and near Tomales bay.....looooong ago. Occasionally they still show up around here, though it has been several years now since we pestered some with decievers off Stemple creek. Ours were off shore though and not like Mark's fantastic catch while beach fishing.
    .....lee s.

Default stripers

Loren.They tried planting stripers in san diego years ago and bay taged stripers have shown up in umqua and coors rivers.coors used to plant stripers a fre years ago.i know of stripers taken in long beach and also the ventura area.we also have residence fish in some of our rivers.

thanks for the info Bart, that is interesting as I didn't realize they had stocked down south and up north.

Default San Diego stripers

Back when I lived in SD, 1979-1984, we used to catch stripers at the mouth of the Sweetwater River in South Bay. Even then it was a rarity and they were attributed to left-overs from the days when they used to plant them down there. I remember the SD Union outdoor writer Rolla Williams writing about our catches in the paper....

Default SD Bay

Not surprised to hear about stripers in SD Bay. There is a decent population of
    smaller bonefish present. Usually found south of the Coronado bridge. Every few years,
    one hears about a stray salmon caught off shore.
    Best,
    Larry S

One big surprize at the long beach pier about 10 yrs ago was tagged salmon out of the merced river showed up there.The bioligist was called down to explain what kind of fish there were catching.