Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stripers in the surf.

Default stripers in the surf.

Anybody wants to try their luck on hooking striped bass in the surf? Try Santa Cruz/ Capitola beaches.

So....are you saying the striper fishing has been good around Santa Cruz/Capitola? If so, please give more info. because they seem to be having trouble finding my flies. I did hear the live bait guys have been doing well around New Brighton.

Notch

Default Striper in the surf

Most of the bite are early am, I mean while it is still dark... Till maybe up to 9am.. Then they're gone... They hook fish also at dusk... But a lot of times.. Wind picks up in the afternoon...

I guided an angler the other day down south by Monterey proper and we found a lot of bait and diving birds, but couldn't find the bass with them as they stayed mostly just out of casting range. There is definitely bait around in the bay though.

Default striper in the surf

some fish start to show at rockaway and linda mar. schoolie fish tho...they chasing/feeding on surf smelt....

The big school of bait and fish that was in Monterey Bay is slowing moving up the coast. The other day it was about 10 miles south of Half Moon Bay.

The best action I have heard about in the last couple months was down in the Monterey Bay area.

The water up here is still pretty cold so I would say in about a couple weeks the bait should move in

I believe the Stripers on the east coast travel great distances.

I think they head north in the spring/summer and south in the fall/winter.

I the middle of summer they are in Maine and in the middle of winter they are in Georgia.

Not sure if our Striper move that much though?

How far south have people caught Stripers in CA?

I know they have them as far north as the Umpqua River.

**There is a large bait shift that goes on with the seasons over on the east coast of North America and Central America but it might be because they have more shallow shelf on that side.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, several years ago my nephew caught a stripe about 15" long on the beach at Morro Bay. I have fished there for many years and never caught one. Must have been a stray.

The socal guys get them more often than you would think down in Ventura County and that area I think. Based on the patterns I have observed and talking it over with Mark Won and Ken Hanley, I am inclined to think that there might be separate populations of stripers around the golden gate and then in Monterey Bay, with the latter population spawning in the Pajaro and Salinas Rivers. Some years in May the action is great in Monterey Bay but not a sign of a fish from the gate to Davenport....if those fish came from north I think guys would have hit them. They definitely spread out up and down the coast, they just need a river mouth to go into like the Columbia, Umpqua, I think there is a river down near LA that had a group of stripers around it for a while before word got out.

No big fish up here north of MB but picked up a couple of schoolies like this today...

Default stripers

Loren:
    Great shot and nice fish. Almost out of the "schoolie" category, right? Wish we had
    them in the San Diego surf. Getting some regular catches of several types of croakers
    right now.
    Best,
    Larry S