Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

Default All done

Just wanted to say thanks again for the responses. Finally took the boat out last weekend and it all worked perfectly. The Honda is just about right for it and gets me about 6-7 mph (guesstimated) before the boat is plowing and unable to go any faster. It's true what they say about these kinds of hulls - they get to a certain speed and start digging in and having 3 times the horsepower wouldn't gain you much.

I took it to a lake here in Oregon (Davis) which is alot like other mountain lakes - glassy in the morning and windy in the afternoon. It's the main reason I wanted a motor; when it was time to get off the water, the trip back to camp was a breeze. The lake seemed alot smaller.

I have to agree about the noise and the vibration - it's louder than I thought it'd be, but the extra power over an electric was well worth it. The only other downside is the price.

The Willie is pretty cool too. It's really stable, and standing and motoring with an extended tiller was very comfortable. It slaps pretty hard in the chop and likes to bow-spray you but I can live with that.

Overall, I like the combination and would definitely recommend checking into the Honda if you're looking for some lightweight gas power.

Best,
    Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gas2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	3360  

Make sure you get oars that are at least 7 feet.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

I think the 2hp Honda in the 16" shaft would work but I think that your idea of measuring it would be good.

I also like a Minn Kota 55# 12volt tiller electric on the back of small boats.

If you use two smaller batteries like group 24 deep cycles then you can run a lot and have a spare to get home.

Secret to getting longer battery life is to not run much on the fastest setting.

How you spread your load out in those little boats is relly important.

Where will you go in the tide water for salmon in September?

Traditional time to start on the Lower Eel or Smith River is mid-October.

September would be good on the lower Rogue River?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    Make sure you get oars that are at least 7 feet.

I think the 2hp Honda in the 16" shaft would work but I think that your idea of measuring it would be good.

I also like a Minn Kota 55# 12volt tiller electric on the back of small boats.

If you use two smaller batteries like group 24 deep cycles then you can run a lot and have a spare to get home.

Secret to getting longer battery life is to not run much on the fastest setting.

How you spread your load out in those little boats is relly important.

Where will you go in the tide water for salmon in September?

Traditional time to start on the Lower Eel or Smith River is mid-October.

September would be good on the lower Rogue River?

I have the oars and yes, 7 footers work well. I should have mentioned it's a great little rowing boat too.

I bought the long shaft (20 inches) and I'm glad I did. The short shaft is 15 inches and the cavitation plate would've just barely made the waterline. The 25 pound anchor in front balances the 27 pound motor in back and my seating position is just slightly forward of center, so the transom raises a couple of inches. I'm gonna have a jackplate welded to the transom to raise it up about 2 inches and straighten it out as well. There's not enough adjustment in the motor mount to get the shaft vertical.

I'll be in the Siletz river for the fall chinook run. I go there every year with a 10wt and a 4wt - one for the chinook and one for the SR Cutts. Unfortunately, I've only managed to hook a salmon so far with the 4wt...not your ideal setup for a 30 pound missile. In my pontoon boat, I put in about 5 miles inland when the tide's going out and then ride it back upstream when it changes. I hope to have a little more leeway with the motor.

Allan