Thread: Received a thermometer for Father's Day - now what?

Default Received a thermometer for Father's Day - now what?

I tore out a page from a fishing catalog and circled the stream thermometer and gave it to my wife sometime before Christmas. I received the thermometer for a Father's Day gift and now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this new information (water temp) once I'm on my favorite river. More than once, I've read in articles that trout are very sensitive to water temperature and the ideal temp is somewhere between 55-65 degrees so it's helpful to have a thermometer. In what ways will water temp affect fly selection, technique, and fish location? By the way, the water was 49 degrees on the Truckee yesterday. I landed two nice rainbows; one on a streamer and another on a dead drifted black rubber legs.
    craig

I use mine mainly when stillwater fishing, I like to know what the temp is when I am on the water. I actually use a pool thermometer attached to my float tube with a piece of thin rope. It is always in the water and it is always attached to my float tube. I hate having to wait for the temp when stream fishing so I don't use it then too often.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Craig, you must have been good last year.
    I didn't use a thermometer for many years, and now it's a regular thing (Just like seining for bugs.).
    Just like hatch curves, there are temp curves.
    During winter, on the Truckee, it warms a degree or two by about noon/afternoon, so midges or BWOs pop.
    Now, everyday the melt increases in the PM, and the temps plummet.
    So mid-mornings to noon it's warmer.
    The streams edge water is warmer than the middle as well. (A good reason to fish the edge during spring flood and go deep in summer.)
    In the summer when temps are almost too high, you can find springs entering the river that are cooler and hold fish.
    And discover the river is coolest at dawn, or warmer up stream etc....
    Lots of temp mysteries to explore.
    You are correct about their temp happy spot. Find water that temp and find fish.
    I fish/guide the T year-round, but to me the main season here starts at 52 deg. We're almost there!

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-21-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Mike O Guest

I used to use my fishpond thermo all the time, because I like to keep track of the temp. The thermo doesn't work anymore, as the mercury is fragmented or somthing, so thats out for me now.

You can often repair that kind of thermometer by dipping it into water you slowly heat up on a stove until the mercury rejoins -- obviously this takes a little care, but it may be worth it to you.

bugs often hatch at specific temperatures - you can find alot of this info in the literature - so if you go to new water and are expecting a hatch of PMDs, by taking the water temperature you may have a clue if the hatch will in fact happen.

IF you keep a diary that includes hatches and water temperature you can go back and see what happened under specific temperature conditions from year to year

Craig, first and foremost you better determine whether it's a rectal or oral thermometer. There is a difference.
    For instance, you don't want to try to use the rectal while float tubing. A serious accident or drowning may occur. Use the rectal only in waist deep water, again, serious accident hazard if you go any deeper. Shallower water isn't much better due to the chance of slipping. Ouch.
    The oral is much handier. You can kiss almost any size water. You can check the depths at least as far as you can dive.
    You can stir your drink with it too. You could maybe use the other for that but I wouldn't.

Forgive me folks I just couldn't resist the low hanging fruit.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

If you're anything like my brother you'll just donate it to the triver the 3rd time you use it.

Woops splash.......

They're handy for tracking conditions over the years. You may find some similarity from year to year when you were really catching fish vs. getting skunked on particular pieces of water.

Thanks for all the useful, and humorous replies. So far, I have not donated my thermometer to the river, but it does sound like something I'd do...

Bigfly, I fished the Truckee again this weekend and your thoughts were helpful. I concentrated on slower moving water due to the 50 degree reading. I passed a lot of faster water that I would usually consider very fishy. Once I found some slower water, which given the high flows, was not easy, I caught fish. Most of the takes were very subtle. Thanks for your help, I'd love to schedule a guide trip with you.
    craig

Craig, the reason I suggest lighter weight under the indy, is the takes can be so light, that they don't even register.
    Set on anything, (but softly) then resume the drift.
    I have a coiled cord on my thermometer, wouldn't want to lose it.
    Glad you hooked up.
    Call anytime.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-27-2011 at 02:13 PM.