Thread: the dunkin creek/pocket river

Default the dunkin creek/pocket river

greetings

this past weekend, i decided to head back home to visit the family. decided to go stalk some carp at a small pond...noticed they were coming up for emergers... but i ended up catching a....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

that's a first for me.

THE GOOD STUFF

as usual, me and my brother decided to head out to our backyard. we were worried runoff was gonna make the fishing terribad... but when we got there.. the water was gin clear.

I ended up dunking myself into a creek.. not once.. not twice.. but three times.. lol.. luckily i did not put on any gear yet.. the water was cold.. but it sure did feel good.

we hiked up to the valley and saw one of our favorite runs a little high, but always reliable. i'll call this the "dream run".

spent a good half hour or so there.. caught lots of bows...brookies.. and a few browns.. i did get scared for a second when i once again saw a "leopard shark", but it sure as hell was too late.. since it swam away quickly into a deep undercut underneath hundreds of branches.. (next time mr brown.. next time)

decided it was time to leave the "dream run", so we headed up stream. hiked about 20 minutes up the trail, even though all the runs/pools we knew were non-existent... we found plenty of pocket water holding fish...

moved up the trail once more for another 20 minutes or so.. until we hit one of tribs to pocket river.

spent 5 hours up the trail.. then we decided to head back. i forgot to mention we saw lots of bears on our way up.... on our way back down.. i found some pocket water... stared at it for a bit.. saw some good sized fish in there... and then i noticed a yellow one.. hovering in the pocket water...

i decided to climb down the canyon.. down the fallen tree.. a few casts in, a few fish out.. then i got my biggest brookie out of this river.. it was about 14-16 inches.. with a large mouth.. did not have my camera on me.. brother was at the top of the cliff waiting for me.. i give it a few more casts.. the brown comes up.. and rejects my fly.. a few seconds later.. my brother starts yelling my name out simultaneously to get out of the water.. i turn around.. and see a bear.. 15 yards away on the other side of the river..he sure did look hungry.. climbed up half way.. threw my rod up.. and finished my climb in record time lol...

decided to call it a day after that...

then we ran into a lost cub.. mother nowhere to be found..

the sierras are nice right now, even with the high flows. if you are itching to fish, go for it. you'll be satisfied.. the fish are hungry.
    Last edited by thepeacockspecial; 06-20-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: new pic

Now that is a damn good report.

Can't wait to get up there.

EO

i'm headed back there this weekend, to check out certain meadow. it was recently restored, sooo its gonna be some fresh water for me.

will post another full report after the trip.

I love fishing meadow streams....and the bonus is
    they are not only pretty, but no trees to catch on
    the backcast.

Have fun!

EO