Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z-Axis Dicontinued

Default Z-Axis Dicontinued

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2011...r-fathers-day/

WTF? Seriously, one of the best graphite rods ever is being discontinued? Hope they have a suitable replacement. Maybe getting their A** handed to them by the new Hardy in Yellowstone Anglers 5-weight shootout hurt, but all I can say is it's going to have to be a heck of a rod to fill those shoes.
    Robert

maybe it was just me but I never really thought it was that great of a stick. Have to say I much preferred the XP. The Loomis GLX Native Run flat worked the Z axis in exact same length models. I was able to cast it a good 30% further.

To each his own though.

Cant wait to see what they come out with next.

Mark, I agree in the 8 weight. I have a Streamdance GLX/HLS in a 6 weight, cast the same rod in the Z and was very impressed. Not able to say one is better, but it's a damn fine rod
    Robert

I feel sorry for the dealers that just got in pre-season shipments of these rods and now can only sell them if they are discounted. I know if I was a shop owner I would be expressing my dissatisfaction to my rep. its going to a tuff summer season for some shops in the rockies with all of the runoff forcing people to cancel trips.

Sage (like all the other rod vendors) "discontinues" the rod model about every five years (or so), about the time sales start to taper down. Every dealer knows this, it's not a big secret, so if a dealer bought a big shipment of Z Axis' (or whatever else is being discontinued) it's to sell on the discount market and Sage ain't pulling a fast one.

Like Bob said sage has always been on the 5 year plan (damn communists! ) and we all new that it was likely a replacement was coming. As of right now they're probably already looking ahead to the next generations replacement in 5 more years.

I got a kick out of the notion that Sage has their tale between their legs due to Hardy. We brought in some 5's for customers after the great shootout and they all chose other rods...

Regardless, I really enjoy my #5 z axis, looking forward to whatever is next.

Im a generation or 2 behind. Im still using my SPL-CA, RPLxi, and XP and they do everything I need them to.

Same here Dan, only I am farther behind than that! I have RPL's in 5 (3), and 9. A Xi2 7, and my favorite of all, an old RPL+ 7. Love them all.

Yea, those RPLs are good sticks, I have one of those for one of my client rods.

My favorites are the Sage SP's....I've collected a few over the years...

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author