Thread: American River 6-15-11

Default American River 6-15-11

This warming trend finally pushed the American River up to 58 degrees. The fish are biting a little better as a result. I had about the same success as Jeff C. last night. I got 8 fish up at Sunrise out of a boat. This was the second night in a row they appeared to rise on hatching caddis from 8:45 until 9:15 pm. I wish I had something to try on top just for fun. So far the fish are even bigger than last year for me. I already have quite a few fish over 20". For me the average has 17"-19" lately! Surprised not more people out. But I understand some probably don't want to mess with this crazy high flow.

For those who have not been yet, the gate to the sunrise gravel launch ramps/parking area will be closed the remainder of the year due to "budget cuts". Even though closing the area has no direct impact on saving money etc. I could get into the details - which is sore subject, but I won't.

Anyway, the paved launch ramps are open at Sunrise and Hazel...
    Tight Lines

Default Sunrise launch

I was told by a couple of different park rangers that the sunrise gravel launch area was closed for a different reason. After the parkway master plan was reviewed it was discovered that that area was never suppose to be opened. It was therefore closed to stick to the master plan. When I purchased my parking pass about a month ago the lady behind the counter had a different reason. She said there are important archeological artifacts there that were being destroyed. I personally think it's a bunch of crap!!!

I think it was closed because a bicycle did not stop at the stop sign and got hit by a car. Supposedly it was closed for that reason, to help protect the bicycle riders. I am not 100% sure.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Yep, that's what they were saying last year. Haven't heard anything about that this year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    I think it was closed because a bicycle did not stop at the stop sign and got hit by a car. Supposedly it was closed for that reason, to help protect the bicycle riders. I am not 100% sure.
    One less for me to look out for
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Default Closer

I attended both last year and this years meeting with park staff regarding the closer. They had two officially announced "reasons" for closing the area:

1) The bicycle collisions on the bike crossing. When we asked to see the stats they could not provide any. When we asked a long term ranger we know, he stated there are no more collisions there than anywhere else. In fact he could not even remember having one there in a long time.

2) Lack of staff to patrol the area. They simply want to cut down on the areas they patrol due to a lack of staff.

I am sure different employees has put other reasons out there. The bottom line is there is no justifiable reason for it. How difficult is it to drive through a parking lot to patrol it? I know, I was a park ranger for 10 years and work 8 different parks, including water parks.

I have been going to the upper sunrise gravel parking/launching area for years. I have never seen significant trash or problems from park visitors. Most of the people that use that area are fisherman and most are respectful.
    Tight Lines