Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana Bound;

Default Montana Bound;

Heading to Montana in a week. Will be drifting the Big Hole up out of Melrose a couple days, then heading to Ennis to fish Upper Madison for a couple days. My research shows that flows are up and down like many places here in N. California . Just curious if anybody has any thoughts or ideas about fishing in the area or local knowledge of how its been there.
    Last edited by yFly10; 06-13-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Try these two links. Both are on top of condtions in their locations

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/how...er_conditions/

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverMont...erReports.aspx

Thanks for the insight I'll check these out.

Talking Montana Bound

If you are going to float the Big Hole, Be sure to target a few Grayling . It's not uncommon to close that river due to low flows. But this year, it's completely the oppisite. Godd luck.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Thanks bryan, I'm excited to check out some out of state water, and the grayling will be an added bonus on top of everything else.

Default Big Hole at Flood Stage

I don't think the Big Hole will be in shape to fish for a couple of weeks, since it is currently at flood stage and is planned to remain there for the remainder of this week. The Beaverhead might be your only option for the area. I fished it yesterday and it was pretty good indicator fishing. The Madison will be fishable, I would stick to the wade section of the upper Madison around Reynolds Pass. There are still options in Montana, but you will share the waters probably with a few more people as the options are less right now because of very wet spring and a big snow year.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...1,1,1,1,1,1%22

Big suggestion would be to look for tailwaters (Mo) and spring creeks. Pretty much everything else will likely be blown....

I got a report from Headhunters in Craig. Mo is running very high. Not much dry action. Deep nymping and streamers are the name of game right now.

Thanks all, for the great info, flights booked, bags packed, license bought. I'm going hell or highwater. We'll deal with whatever comes are way, If we have to tweak the plan a little or a lot, I'm game. The guide friend of my buddy's that were fishing with has been fishing the area for a long time. I'm sure he has a couple rabbits in the hat. Thanks again gentlemen. If others have any thoughts I'm up for more input. Lot's of Killer water in Montana.

If you make it to the Beaverhead don't be afraid to fish below where most are, if you want some water to yourself. 2x maybe 3x and enjoy. Grayling on the Hole up by Wisdom are a blast. Safe and great trip!