Thread: Timing is everything

Default Timing is everything

Well, there I was sitting in front of my 'puter yesterday morning. It was raining again, just like Saturday. Around 10 I just couldn't take it anymore. I told my wife I'm going fishing and hit the road. I hadn't seen my favorite creeks at all this year because of the weather. Now it was "weather be damned" time. I had to scrabble around and find my trout flies, tossed in my waders and raincoat, stopped at Bill's shop for some leaders & stuff and off I went.

With traffic problems and wet pavement I still made it up around 12:30. On the way in I see a small patch of snow, man, not good to see it here.

And then another, by now I'm wondering if I can get in at all.

After a bit I came across my first target, water's up a bit but it stll looks fishable.

So I'm thinking, my next shots are further up, I'll go check them and then come back here. So I kept going. Weather was rather iffy but since I'm here I may as well see what's what.

I got to my first crossing and I found a creek that looks prime. Just high enough to make fishing better than later in the summer.

As I was rigging up the sun came out. Now it's looking like a real trip. I took the short hike down to the water and on my very first cast with a #10 yellow stimulator I caught a pretty little brown.

Upon release it took a break behind some weeds, then moved over and zipped back into the run.

Okay, off to a great start. This is after my second cast.

Lightning struck 3 times right there and I decided I was going to stay here for awhile.
    I fished upstream, catching and missing enough fish make for a good time. At one point I got tired of re-treating my stimi with floatant and just fished it wet, and caught one that way.
    Here's a major change, for the past 10 years or so this tire had been 10 ft upstream and sunk into the streambed.

So now my day's pretty well made. So with no skunk I drove over to my last target, a pretty little creek that holds rainbows.
    Again, I hike down and find it quite fishable. I caught a few of these and called it a day.

I should mention I fished with a partner this time. He kept up just fine. Every time I thought I'd lost him, there he'd be somewhere close. He even found me on the trail.
    Go figure.
    Must be faster than he looks.

You folks who fish the mid elevations need to start checking your spots right now. Runoff will likely change some conditions but you don't know if you don't go look.

Water temps were a bit cool, but the fish didn't seem to mind. Both streams were hitting 48 degrees, the only time of year when they're the same.

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Wahl; 06-06-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Thanks for the report! Inspiring! Im not waiting any more! Might as well go try! Great pics

Nice pic's Ed. I fished a small stream two weeks ago with Grandpa, I must have caught at least 2 dozen trout. The water was high, but the fish still have to eat! Grandpa caught a bunch of trout too. Nothing cooler than stream fishing in a tough canyon that most people my age (32) would complain about hiking into with my Grandpa who is 79 and loved every minute of it.

Dan

Default trek

Ed:
    Thanks for taking us along. Those small streams are the ticket.
    Best to you,
    Larry S

Default Yeah Baby!

I putting down my thread and fur and headin' out tomorrow then a long weekend too.

Yeehaw!

This water and snow pack will keep things fishing well through July. I have tied more flies than I could possible lose so its time to get casting.

Tight lines to you all!

Curt
    norcaldrifter56@yahoo.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curt fishing.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	3092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Releasing Rainbow.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	3093  

Default LOL.

Ed, nice job going out and just fishing!!

Funny, I have never once caught a fish just sitting at home on the computer either!

I believe that would be: http://www.doingitwrong.com/

(click on the images and be prepared to laugh, some)
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

You beat me to it Ed, good going. That little red guy was just my tracking pet, he was following you so I could have some new fishing spots. Next time throw him a cricket, he gets hungry every now and then trying to keep up with you.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Speaking of timing...

Said creek will likely spill this week or next, so you may not find it as you did the next time. Went up there Memorial day, but got rained out after about a half day of fishing. Water temps were freezing, though to be expected with the weather we are having. There was even 8 inches of new snow at the top of the hill before heading down.
    Carpe Piscis!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ><((((º>
    ><((((º> ><((((º>

Default You know the rules!

A report like that is the flip side of "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you". You told, so now you must die.

Must be nice to be off when the rest of us poor bastards are working. That's too cool dude, got the itch to go check it out, and got some good fishing in. I'm surprised that the "big stream" isn't flowing a bit higher.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.