Thread: Wyoming Suggestions

Default Wyoming Suggestions

I am going to be in Pinedale, Wyoming in late July and am looking for any info on the local rivers: Green River/ New Fork? Anyone been up there?
    Thanks
    Bill

I've had great fishing on the New Fork. I used to go out and park near the airport and head out through the willows until I hit the river. Lots of browns and rainbows in the 15-20" class. Also lots of close encounters with big animals in the thick willows where you can't see very far......moose, deer, antelope, and lots of the time you never see them but just hear them crashing off in front of you......

I fished the Green in the Pinedale area a number of times. Nice water but I never caught much but 8-12" rainbows.

Make a stop at the local guide / fly shop, buy a couple flies, and chat em up at the register. They will give you the scoop on what's fishing good and individual flow conditions for the local rivers. If you still need a license, you can forego purchasing the flies, but I usually buy a couple just to be courteous. Last time I was in that area, we drove a bit and fished the Hoback. Mostly since the Green and other local rivers weren't fishing too well, and the locals were crowding a lot of spots.

If the flows are somewhat high I'd recommend some bead head stones in the size 10-12 range. We fished the Hoback both above and below the confluence with I think Manzanita creek (not positive) and I liked the upper part better. The lower stretch has more gradient, so lots of deep fast runs, was much more difficult to fish than the upper. Just make your decision based on flow conditions.

Thanks for the recommendations... good to know the New Fork and Hoback are good options. Really looking forward to exploring these waters.