Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Red Hot

Default Pyramid Red Hot

My buddy called the other day(got a pair of big reds 11&13 out of a favorite hole on the 4wt/floater/minnow over memorial day weekend ) and that was enough to get me back out there again although I am fishing(trying) more and more at other lakes. I am glad he called. We got into some EPIC fishing on the south end off dago and the west side of the lake off Indian head. We found schools in a variety of usual spots and holes. Most of the fish we caught were nice fat cutts up to 28". Fish after fish on the 4wt/floater/minnow and the 8wt dredger when they were deeper. We fished water from 3-30 feet deep with the bulk of the fish coming in at around 15-20. Lots of bait around the likely spots/holes and cutts are right there with them. Fish were suspended 15/20 and at that depth were quite willing to charge and blast a flashy minnow dragged over their heads. We found some good numbers of fish on some of our favorite moss/weed beds in shallow water. In the shallows we were fast stripping minnows and sinking dragons to the bottom then stripping them fast to the surface. They were blasting it. Fun, Fun, Fun. We found some nice big schools that were hard to keep off the minnow and dragons.
    The river is still dumping into the lake in a big way and with this weather it has been slow to start getting going with bugs but we have found midges and some dragons already. They are still in spawn mode and will be for a while with all the cold water and weather. Cutts are lengthy spawners and will go for extended time periods. Plenty of fishing left as this cold wet weather will keep them in relatively shallow water.
    Fishing has been Excellent for us.

HOw has the fishing been the last few days since it has started warming up?

It should be great. Best is yet to come. I haven't been out since the last boat trip. But this warmer weather will get the moss/weed beds to sprout and the bug life(dragons/damsels/midges etc) to kick in. Warm up the water a tad and get the fish hot on the spawn run. The bait fish(tui/cui ui/perch) will be balling up and spawning also. http://www.rgj.com/article/20110531/...le-river-teems
    There is plenty of bait balling up and the fish have been mackin on it.
    The fish will still be going through the spawn. I am going to try and get out in the kayak(maybe tomorrow) for a day or two real soon. Many lakes are kicking into gear right now so I tend to now fish a little bit everywhere. It is well worth it the Best is still yet to come with this lengthy late winter/spring cold weather and now it finally warming up. Every lake is a month+ behind. I have been fishing out of a big boat but I am sure you can do great wading from shore and or using a ladder as we have been finding plenty of fish in skinny water. If you are stuck fishing from shore you will have slow days and epic days. Flip of the coin. Tube or pontoon will get you into deeper water which is good and necessary at times. Sometimes they will cruise a few feet deep like 3 or 4,,,,sometimes they will just be out of reach from shore when the wind lays down in 15/20+. When that happens they are usually cruising under and over the first ledge. Then you can use a tube and your 8wt with a uniform sink type 4 with a weighted bug or your fast sinking shooting head w/weighted bug dragon or minnow or simply a bugger. I opt for the 6wt and a type 4 uniform sink in water that deep and a minnow or dragon. Better feel and less missed strikes with the uniform sink vs the shooting head. I have had epic days on sweltering hot no wind days in a tad deeper water but also in the skinny water. So It all depends and is hard to predict. If the wind kicks up that will pull the fish in closer for shore fishing and turn on a bite. There will be opportunities for the floater in the skinny water. Boat is always best for big lakes like pyramid. If you are shore fishing I would recommend anyone to start at their usual spots but move around, be willing to drive your vehicle to other spots if you don't have a power boat. You really need to move around to find fish. Much better than just standing there flailing away waiting hours for them to come to you. The whole west side and south and over to dago has been good for us. You just have to figure it all out.
    I give it 4 out of 5 fishies.
    Good Luck

good to hear. we have been hearing that all winter. Im back at work now that the weather is nice so im gonna have to wait for a day off cause the 2 hr drive is ruff after wk...and doesnt give me much time to fish. And like you said.....a lot of water to fish and they should be pickn up more and more. Thanks and happy fishing. This past season pyramid lake has become my favourite fishery. Rough when a rat is 18"+

well:

That might be....that day. Last couple times up there for me, however, it was nothing at all going on. The water was warm, the lake still, the sky clear, and few people fishing (some locals), and even fewer boats. I saw no fish, didn't even hear any fish stories. Jack squat.

The windless, mostly sunny days, and no driving over to the west side (unless something's changed), is pretty much the norm.

My take on this is it's late. If you are even thinking about dragging yourself (and maybe a boat) from Sac, check the weather and don't bother unless forecast conditions warrant.

Any other reports.....the weather has finally changed to more of a spring/summer type. Thinkn bout headn up early wed or thurs morn. I know the weather is nice....almost too nice for pyramid. But its been a weird season and everything is late. NOw lets hear some good reports.

Default Whatever

I have spent more time fsihing and guiding Pyramid than anyone else that posts on this board. I know all the beaches the conditions and have looged more time in searching beaches than anyone. Dago Bay has been muddy with water from the Truckee for about two months now. As has Howards Bay, Popcorn, Lone Tree, Cattel Guard, and most of the lake all the way up to about Sandhole. I write the fishing report for the Reno Paper and for about 5000 fly fishing enthusiasts each month. Do not believe averything you hear. I repeat do not beleive everything you hear.

Rob Anderson

So I need to head up there is what your saying....? Me and a buddy are leavn south lake at 2:30am thurs morn to head up to pyramid and start fishn by 430.

Should we start at block house and work up? Or start up north more towards pelican...or shotdog. Should we start strippn buggers and beetles or nymphn? We were fishing pyramid a good 2x a week but both started workin again so its too late to make the drive after work.

Sorry you guys are struggling. ....If you aren't catching Hire a guide with a good safe power boat that has been fishing and motoring the lake for many years and knows the lake and can teach you the lake and the spots/structure and how and what the bait and food and cutts are doing. You don't want some ladder guide they don't know the lake well enough and most importantly can't motor you around, cover lots of water and get you into the deeper water where the fish often are. If you aren't catching, it is likely due to you not getting your bug in front of the fish and that is often the case as the fish are often out of reach. Knowing the beach isn't knowing what's under the water. Joe Mendes knows the lake and is the best guide out there. He knows all the nooks and crannies and where to find the fish.
    http://www.eagleeyechartersofnv.com/
    http://crosbylodgepyramidlake.com/la...iteseeing.html

....Or put in the time and effort to figure it out on your own, it is easiest if you have a power boat. 2 things will put your learning curve on a vertical rise. #1.) motoring all over the lake mapping the bottom structure while hunting down fish and bait. #2.) Diving the lake. There's no substitute for a power boat on a big lake like pyramid and the ability to map the bottom and to cover water and go finding fish as opposed to having to wait for fish to come to you. You can stand on a ladder for days and not catch fish. You'll catch hundreds more fish when you can cover lots of water with a boat. Often that's the difference between those catching and those standing on ladders not catching....The ability to cover water. If you're stuck on shore and the fish are 100 or 200+ feet further than you can cast....well you know the result. And that is very often the case. A tube/pontoon/kayak helps but still no substitute for a power boat on big lakes like pyramid.
    Figuring out the bottom and structure (drop offs/ledges/holes/weedbeds/flats/rock piles/pinnacles/vents/sand/mud/ gravel etc) is the key. Map the bottom, depth/fish finders work well in a deep lake like pyramid and you can learn a lot with one. You need to know what's UNDERNEATH the water the bottom, not the beach. And what the bait is doing, what the cutts are doing, where the food is, what they are eating. GPS the structure you find and where fish are holding. Also If you have your dive cert it is a great lake to dive. Just make sure you have done an altitude cert/class first or you might get yourself bent. Or you can easily free dive it if you aren't dive certified. You can be in 90 degree water in the dead of winter 80 feet down. These cutts you can get right up close to a few feet away. Put in the effort to learn the lake. It is a great lake.

Fishing has been great for us and we figure it will continue till the closer.
    Enjoy!
    Good Luck!

....p.s....lol
    there are tons of fish staging and stacking up on various structure on the southern end of the lake BECAUSE of the heavy runoff, the river flowing into the lake, the fish schooling up to spawn and head up the river......they don't care if the river is high or off color, the fact that the river is high and flowing hard adds to their desire to enter it.....they are heading up the truckee.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 06-13-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gangster View Post
    Any other reports.....the weather has finally changed to more of a spring/summer type. Thinkn bout headn up early wed or thurs morn. I know the weather is nice....almost too nice for pyramid. But its been a weird season and everything is late. NOw lets hear some good reports.

Look gangster; to echo RA:

don't believe everything you hear, especially anyone who says the fishing is always good or red hot - might be, might not - a guide/boat won't make fish bite...but if you decide to ignore the weather.....do bring some weenies to cook and beer to slosh them down in case it's dead calm, warm, cloudless, and water temps in the low 60's, and not a fish to be seen anywhere.

Good luck. Knock em dead. Look forward to your report.