Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: landing the big one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    It sounds like you had your rod tip in the air. Remember that whatever is attached to your rod (dead or alive) will always wind up directly down current of the tip. When it gets close, kneel down, put your net in the water then swing your rod tip directly upstream. The fish will almost swim into your net.
    Let me make sure I follow you correctly on this:
    Yes, during each failed attempt to net him I did have the tip up (trying to lift him up a bit). I was slightly downstream of the fish still, bringing the net slowly in from under and behind him, but he was totally on to that and would swim away right about the time the rim of the net would get past his shoulders.
    The kneeling down part actually makes a lot of sense, allowing me to plunge the net further under water. When you say to swing the rod tip directly upstream, are you meaning at a low angle (more horizontal) or still keeping it up high when swinging it upstream?
    thanks,
    JB

use a fast action rod if you are not using one yet

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Let me make sure I follow you correctly on this:
    Yes, during each failed attempt to net him I did have the tip up (trying to lift him up a bit). I was slightly downstream of the fish still, bringing the net slowly in from under and behind him, but he was totally on to that and would swim away right about the time the rim of the net would get past his shoulders.
    The kneeling down part actually makes a lot of sense, allowing me to plunge the net further under water. When you say to swing the rod tip directly upstream, are you meaning at a low angle (more horizontal) or still keeping it up high when swinging it upstream?
    thanks,
    JB
    The more parallel the rod is to the water and more directly upstream the tip, the more the fish is going to be forced to swim at you. BUT the more acute the line angle the less ability you have to soften the blow should he make a fast run. Judgment call. Don't chase the fish with the net. Have the net in the water and guide the fish to the net. Net it face first of course.

Default They are the same

As for real advice: Big fish are just the same as little fish, don't treat them or think of them any differently and you'll get them in. Its nervous hands and the death grip and worry of losing a big fish that loses them. When they want line, give it to them. And when they give up line, take it in. There is really no advice needed other than that. They are the same. Soft hands for all fish. And there is really no substitute for landing hundreds and thousands of fish to be able to tell the difference between when a fish wants line and when they are giving it up. No shortcuts. 10,000 hours of practice makes an expert, in any discipline. Until you get close to that, count it all as practice and expect to lose a few.

Default Different circumstances = different strategies

I always seem to be hip deep in fast water perched precariously on a slippery rock mending like hell when I set up on a subtle takes that sends a silver torpedo jetting out of the water heading for the faster water.

I agree that most of the advice you have read so far...... The fact is that every situation requires a different tactic. I think the trick is in the line control and getting a good solid hook set (unless you are breaking them off).

Leading the fish as one of the previous responders recommended seems to work best for me. pulling up and directly against the big ones doesn'd seem to work. I also agree that you should try to spend a lot of time reviving the fish. It is the big one that we want to save the most. It is that genetic pool that we want....

Good luck.

Curtis Cole
    norcaldrifter56@yahoo.com

We have some fish up here that have been caught a few times.
    I often wonder how many times, a biggie has come to the net in their lifetime.
    So,...... from time to time, they refuse to cooperate. Not that I blame them.
    Jason, had one of those his last time up.
    These fish know their pool, and every rock and root. Breaking strength of 5X as well.
    They have a trick list too.
    Plan A,B, etc.
    It's a treat to observe. Not just a panic response, but considered.
    As tall guy said, it takes a while to learn their moves.
    10,000 hrs sounds about right to know what they are going to do, when they do, and be there too.
    Many times we just stand and watch, while the deal goes down.
    They often save a move for the net as well, just in case you were thinking it's a done deal.....
    If every one went in the net easily, I'd move on to a new and challenging sport!
    Last year, there was a brown I needed three tries, over a week, to land.
    He pulled the same tricks each time we met, (High speed zig under a snag.) but I learned his moves and the last time,
    I hung with him.
    He was not pleased. Really gave me the eye.
    I think that even though they have a brain the size of a kidney bean, they use it all.
    For me, if you can match their moves, it isn't just tiring, it's "psychologically" crushing.
    Break their will, by good moves, not power. I suggest not showing them the net, just use a lightning fast scoop.
    And then, treat them nice, (Soft mesh net, soft hands, and keep them in the water.) they earned it.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-07-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Default Long AND deep net

Obviously you want a net that has a big mouth but also make sure it is plenty deep. A few weeks ago I netted a fish in the 20" range with my net that is 18" long. Unfortunately it's only 9" or so deep. A few forceful flops from a trout of this size can pop them right out of a net this shallow. I had fought this 'bow for a few minutes and was hoping to give it some r&r. I got the lead fly out of its mouth quickly and then the thrashing began. Popped out of the net and in the process hooked itself with the trailing fly. Once out of the net it quickly unhooked itself somehow but it was an ugly release.

Bigger, deeper nets are a pain to haul around but both of you will be glad you have one. You'll get your photo and the fish will get a clean release.

Amen, Chet! We've all had a less than perfect release.
    I have been known to reccomend Brodin's Frying pan, float-tube.
    Big, clear, with a longer handle.
    And if one net won't do it, use two. HA!
    I knew I'd find a spot for this pic Jason.
    (Note: The supportive hands, no squeezers please!.)
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-07-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Default Great topic, Jason...

This is an exciting topic for many anglers.

Jbird nailed it w/ the shock absorber analogy…

I think Tall Guy summed it up VERY well, although if you learn from your mistakes and get some advice along the way – an angler can learn how to land big fish much sooner.

It helps to be a well-rounded angler! Go fish for different species (bass, bonefish, carp, etc) and learn about rod angles and how much pressure you can put on fish with 1x-6x.

It helps to gain experience on fisheries that have higher % of big fish!

When fighting big fish you have to fight back! You cannot worry about losing the fish – there will be many more if you are an angler that gets out and fishes. Keep the fish off balance and turn their head where you want them to go when possible.

Landing big fish is like gambling – you can’t worry about the $$ you may lose; you need to play the game to win. Don’t fight fish till they’re so exhausted they don’t return healthy.

Lastly… removing a trout from the water immediately after landing them is like having someone stick your head under water after running 1/4 mile! It would suffocate you…

At the risk of preaching too much…
    Last edited by Dave Neal; 06-07-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

Default Here's a good tip...

As far as tips to contribute to this thread?

1.Always net a big fish head-first, like Ralph said. Don’t try and come from behind- tail first!

2.If someone is netting your fish for you, drop the rod and give them slack as soon as the fish is netted!!

But the best advice I have to offer is when a big fish gets downriver of you!

3. When a big fish runs downriver in heavy or fast water (and assuming it’s not foul hooked, but hooked in the mouth)… You either need to go after it – or make it “swim” back to you.

To make it swim upriver back to you… Don’t keep fighting the fish with “your rod tip up in the air” like we’ve all been told. That only attempts to pull the fish up to the surface where the fastest, heaviest, current is! That’s not where any fish wants to be and they’ll break off, bend hooks, or just come un-glued.

Instead, drop that rod angle low and to the side usually on the upstream side of you (counterintuitive I know) and your rod tip almost touching water. Keep the same bend in the rod, like when your “rod tip was up” to dampen your tippet or prevent bending hooks, breaking off etc…

Wait a second for the fish to face upriver into the current again then just start reeling them in! The fish will start swimming upstream toward you!! Why? Because you have allowed the fish to settle on the bottom of the river where, (a) the fish feels safer (b) there is less current and water velocity than the surface (fastest water on surface/slower current = deeper).

Continue to reel that fish up to you while keeping your rod low and to the side. If they turn their head and body into the current, let them make another run downstream – be prepared that big trout might be able to do this a few times!!

When you get serious about landing them, keep your rod angle low and to the side and reel all your leader up, maybe leave a little fly line out off the tip – but if it’s a long leader and the fish is ready, reel it all up inside the rod. Trust your knots and your hookset - you are going to net this fish now!!!!! (If there are any weaknesses in your system, then you were simply not meant to land this fish)

Anyway, on a 1-2-3 count continue to “pull” the fish” out of the current diagonally towards the shoreline. Swiftly and with some authority, swing your rod up till it’s overhead. This action will LIFT the fish’s head like an airplane taking off (water current past fish fins is a lot like wind over an airplane wing) once the head is on/out of the surface he’s in the net before he knows it!!

This technique is difficult to explain in words, easier to demonstrate on the water, but I teach it a lot! It works very well because you are allowing the fish to stay along the bottom of the river where they feel more comfortable and you are not continually forcing them to the surface of the river where the fast current is.

You will net a lot of big fish this way since many big fish run down river. If the fish is foul hooked, then it just becomes another “fish story” of a huge fish that couldn’t be landed.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com