Thread: Thinking of swinging small steelhead jigs.. Anyone ever do this?

Default Thinking of swinging small steelhead jigs.. Anyone ever do this?

Thinking like 1/16oz or smaller or maybe 1/8 for the deep pools. has anyone ever done this?? Some jigs would rock on the swing. No indicator just swinging them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_3473.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	3083  

Looks like it'd be the same thing as fishing a standard marabou fly like a popsicle....casting it would be fun

lots of folks are using the cone head slip sinkers in that weight class on big flies - they actually cast fairly easily with a skagit system with enough grains to turn the heavy flies over

Quote Originally Posted by Steelie-Stalker View Post
    Looks like it'd be the same thing as fishing a standard marabou fly like a popsicle....casting it would be fun
    except with the offset hook eye, it would hang/move differently on the swing.

Give it a try, can't hurt. I think steelhead react to movement a lot of the time. A good portion of people swinging flies say to do it as slowly and smoothly as possible. I no longer buy into that. I get better results by stripping, twitching, or pulsing the line at different speeds. So, I think the jig could be something worth trying. (I've done it, but won't comment on its effectiveness. Needs more testing first.)

Steelhead react to things they haven't seen before.

Small Dick Nites are a lot more successful! If you are just looking for more weight than add sliding sinkers like Rick recommended. The tungsten ones are the best since they provide more weight in a small sinker and are plastic lined to prevent line abrasion.

JH
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

If you do decide to try this, I'd bring some large indicators along. I've had a lot of luck with jigs and an indicator. Watch your casting! Needless to say, don't ding your rod and wear glasses and be prepared to duck. I've seen stars more than once when I got whacked on the forehead by a 1/16 oz. jig. IMHO, 1/8 oz. is just a bit too much weight to cast.