Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to take a 2 1/2 year old fishing

Default Want to take a 2 1/2 year old fishing

I know I've seen a similar post in the past but can't find it.

I was hoping some of you might be able to point me to some still water areas to fish with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. She has never fished before and she just received her first "princess" fishing pole (fly rod in a couple of years when the coordination gets better).

I'm really just looking for places where she can have a ton of action, 2.5 year olds attention span is probably shorter than my labs. A place we can go for 1/2 hour (or longer if she's having fun) and get a lot of action. I'm assuming blue gill or sunfish would be a good way to go but am up for any and all suggestions, including any advice for those that have done this with there own kids/grandkids, want to make sure fishing is something she likes and not dreads, not even bringing my rods, it's all about her. Want to plant the seeds for when she gets older.

I promise to post pics of the results once we get out.

One place on my radar is the trout pond up in Lincoln, anyone ever gone there? Also don't mind a pay to play situation to make sure she's having fun and getting lots of action.

Thanks gents & gals, and happy Memorial Day to everyone.

Check your private messages.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I'm not sure if this would be something your interested in, but I seem to remember a farm up in Apple Hill that has a stocked little trout pond, High Hill Ranch might be it. I worked @ a camp during college that had one, and the kids really loved it.

Scott,

Great stuff, thank you.

DV8,
    I forgot about that place, been there many times, never fished it though. Thanks for reminding me, we might just have to head up there and take a shot at that place.

dryflychico (Josh)

That pond at Apple Hill is where I caught my first fish. It was about an eight inch rainbow that my pops and I tricked into eating a garlic flavored marshmallow. I will never forget that day. 25 years later, and I'm still hopelessly addicted to all things fishing.

For the same reasons, I'd be happy to get some info on places like DryFly describes. thanks.

Default Want to take a 2 1/2 year old fishing

Sounds like you have the age and attention span dialed in.

We used to practice casting by simply tying a piece of yard on the end of the leader or cut the hook off a wooly bugger and used that to get the concept down. Something you can do any time on the lawn or at your favorite park.

Get some kids polarized sun glasses too.
    Start the safety thing early and when they can
    see the fish better it's a whole new ball game.

-k-

Definitely the polarized glasses. For safety sake and also to see fish. More exciting that way. Had this coversation with my son a few times before I realized.

See that big fish right out there..

Where?

Right there!

Oh yeah, you can't see him...

Quote Originally Posted by DV8 View Post
    I'm not sure if this would be something your interested in, but I seem to remember a farm up in Apple Hill that has a stocked little trout pond, High Hill Ranch might be it. I worked @ a camp during college that had one, and the kids really loved it.
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the trout pond at Apple Hill is stocked immediately after Labor Day.... There maybe a spring season I am not aware about tho.

The operators of the trout pond allow C&R fishing during the week. Weekend fishing is catch and keep.....priced by the pound....

My kids get a kick just 'feeding' the trout.... one pellet at a time....

Nice place.

Default Ranch Seco

I have taken my kid and several of my friends kids to Rancho Seco for their first fish. Panfish in the spring can be really easy to catch. On a week day the place is almost deserted. Bobber fishing with conventional gear or a nymph under an indicator work well. Good luck
    Hatch