Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 5 bass flies

Quote Originally Posted by ssy View Post
    So do you throw them right in the weeds or over mats? Does the mono weedguards work well?
    It all depends where you are fishing, and the type of weeds that are around. The type you want to fish are the type that you can throw a weedless bug on, and slowly snake it over the mat, pop it off the mat, and get a blow up. The kind you do not want to fish are the kind that require regular fly cleaning.

On a 1/0 bug, I use 25 lb mason hard mono, and as long as you don't give a hard pull, it is completely weedless. I prefer to use non-weedless whenever I can, because of the extra hook-setting required. It may not make mush of a difference, especially if you are using a stiffer rod, but I like to throw mine on light rods.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Thumbs up Bass Bugs....

I prefer divers/poppers made from deer hair but include balsa among my favorites. With that in mind:

Dahlberg Diver (weedless)

Frog Slider (weedless)

Red headed, balsa popper

Taps Bug

KD's Mat Rat

There're too many others to name that I've caught Black Bass on. I prefer to fish on top for them and like ted1, throw deep into cover. Love the blow-up.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

It'd be hard to pare it down to five, but any list I'd make would have a Dahlberg Diver and a Whitlock's Mouserat.

When I head out to the Delta this time of year regardless of conditions, I'm almost always tossing one of these:

1. size 2 - 3/0 green and yellow deer hair diver
    2. size 2 - 3/0 black and yellow deer hair diver
    3. size 2 red and white Tap's Bug
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.