Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackle prices

So is this hair thing affecting "ALL" hackle prices?
    Have distributors and in turn flyshops jacked up the price on all hackle?

It would seem that if lots of birds are being raised and wacked for the long thin hackle(which is what is in demand) it would create a glut of other hackle. Are the costs savings being passed on to flyfishers or are we getting screwed.

The long hackle like that isn't premium stuff is it?.....what size would that be? #12+

What about the premium hackle for smaller sizes like #22 midges to #16 callibaetis patterns?

The hackle I have for tying griffith's gnats and midges 20-18 and mayflies #16 is very short only a few inches long.

Well the girls are making some money selling this to hair salons and the salons are making money jacking up the price to their customers.
    Seems like simple economics, supply either must increase to meet demand or prices will rise.
    Suppliers must be making a KILLING!
    Good opportunity if you have some land to raise some birds.
    Maybe I'll go into the chicken farm business. Hackle and fried chicken.

Steven Tyler hackled up.
    http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.c...rs/?test=faces
    Old Aerosmith from the 70's was excellent. Toys in the Attic, Rocks, Get your Wings.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 05-26-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    Maybe I'll go into the chicken farm business. Hackle and fried chicken..
    You sure about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXgtJP1IPs&NR=1

I just went to get my hair cut today.
    My hair cutting girl told me she was online this am trying to hunt down hackle feathers on ebay. 15,000 other folks were looking to buy hackle for hair.
    $2 for 1 strand of hackle is the going rate here in reno.
    She says as much as $3-5 elsewhere.
    Grizzly and pink are the hot colors in highest demand.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    I just went to get my hair cut today.
    My hair cutting girl told me she was online this am trying to hunt down hackle feathers on ebay. 15,000 other folks were looking to buy hackle for hair.
    $2 for 1 strand of hackle is the going rate here in reno.
    She says as much as $3-5 elsewhere.
    Grizzly and pink are the hot colors in highest demand.
    You sell her any? I would've!!

Well guys, this "trend" has even hit the Chico area. I went into Chico Fly Shop because I had run out of Black, Furnace, and Dun capes after 20 years.

THE ENTIRE WALL OF CAPES WAS EMPTY. This isn't just Grizz that's disappearing, it's any "pretty" feather(s) these beauty shops think they can make a "killing" on. I was very lucky that the owner had an old Hoffman Super Cape (Furnace) that still had most of the #12 & #14 feathers in it (looked new) and after through grilling (not gonna sell it, are you?) gave me a kick ass deal.
    Even my neighbors wife is trying to get in on the fad. She saw me tying up flies one night and just about had a heart attack. She actually snagged any quills I dropped on the floor.
    I got lucky finding a Black, as a friend of mine was in Cabelas (Reno) and saw that they had capes (they won't sell to women) and picked me up a black #1 for 25 bucks.
    Like many others, I hope this "fad" dies out quickly.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Mike O Guest

I wonder if Cabela's corporate offices know they are "not selling" product that people want, and are willing to pay for? I also wonder if "women" fly tyers are given the same treatment?

Heck, if I were a salon owner, I would hold a training on the terminology for my stylists, then send them out to buy product if we needed it. Just tell the fly shop owner that a friend just showed you how to tie flies, and you needed to get all set up.

This anxiousness (shall I even say, anger?) towards a market trend is kinda funny. So product is down for a while. Things will come back. We just need to come together and support each other during this time of need. Maybe there should be a barter section on the board, and a ride-share section? Combine both into a "recession" board?

This anxiousness (shall I even say, anger?) towards a market trend is kinda funny. So product is down for a while.
    One small problem, other than Cabela's, there are no capes to be found, anywhere. They have completely depleted the entire market.
    I don't blame Cabela's for holding out for the fishermen. I applaud them.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Default Finally The Truth!

Hackle Feathers in a woman's hair makes her butt look fat, not matter how artfully arranged.

Spread the Word!

(Attribution to Ed K on another board)

Paul

How is cabela's not selling to women who walk in the store and grab hackle off the wall and walk to the register?