Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackle prices

I doubt they would care. They put silicone in their breasts and lips and ass implants, and all sorts of wacked out shit to try and look attractive and boost their self esteem botox injections, and face lifts......dirty rooster feathers in their hair would be no problem.....so long as they think it makes them more attractive.
    Whiting Farms and hackle producers are making a killing.
    Flyfisherman are screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyReelFisher View Post
    Spread the word, "the dying process does not remove or kill the fungal spores, fecal matter, or mites in the feathers." Beware of what you put in your, or your daughters hair.

Default punished?

I don't see why anyone needs to be "punished for not standing up for us". It's a free market and it's a fad and it will pass. A lot of fly shops are struggling so if they can get a little more here and there with out being dishonest or doing anything illegal, all the power to them. I bet most fly tyers have lots of feathers left on their saddle and capes to last until the fad is over.
    50% of my staff have feathers in their hair... supplied by my fly tying stash of course.

I hope the fly shops see their business plummet on feathers as they sell out the reasonably priced feathers to this fashion trend.

Somebody has to be punished for not standing up for us.

Anyone in the market for kidnapped genetic chickens? I'm making a run to china tonight. Only kidding.

I wonder if these girls knew the living conditions of the chickens, if they would still by the feathers. Arn't they vegetarians or vegans? Who knows a PETA person? Can we "sick" PETA on this trend?

Mike in Eureka only has a few years left. From what I hear he should be out business. He has some good material in there. Lets hope he sold all of his 20 year old feathers.....

P.S. Mike has told some outright lies to both me, and more than four people that I know.(He dosen't know we all know each other). I wouldn't be suprised if he sold his feathers on ebay for $300 a cape like everyone else is doing at fly shops(a guy at Lelands). How about you Kiene's guys? Are you buying capes and selling by the feather?
    Last edited by waynesyn; 05-25-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Default PETA

Actually, from what I understand is there are only like 3 entities that raise these particular birds for those long hackle strands. These birds are not treated like their doomed brethren at Foster Farms. I understand that they live the high life! No cages, good grub, and they are treated very well.

Haha, flyreelfisher is wjorg!? I'm glad Mike didn't tell you sh@#! Mike is a cool dude and his store is a cool old school fly shop. You can bs with him for hours if he trusts you, otherwise he is pretty savvy to blabbermouths just prying for info.

About the hackle supply, its gotta be just a matter of time before the ladies get tired of feathers in their hair, the prices and supply will come back.

Default Hackle feathers

This fad started in Feb with Steven Tyler of American Idol,let's hope it has a short lifespan.

It started loooooooong before Steven Tyler.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by waynesyn View Post
    I don't see why anyone needs to be "punished for not standing up for us". It's a free market and it's a fad and it will pass. A lot of fly shops are struggling so if they can get a little more here and there with out being dishonest or doing anything illegal, all the power to them. I bet most fly tyers have lots of feathers left on their saddle and capes to last until the fad is over.
    50% of my staff have feathers in their hair... supplied by my fly tying stash of course.
    +1. Good for business is good for all of us, as the shops make it through this "recovery" period of the recession, and any possible double dip *knocks on wood*...they will still be there for us later.

I just hope that the shops can hack it later when the fad is over and they had to overpay for hackles from the farms during this time. Will they be able to drop prices back down to pre-fad prices and still be able to make money on hackle?

I hope the fly shops see their business plummet on feathers as they sell out the reasonably priced feathers to this fashion trend.

Somebody has to be punished for not standing up for us.

Anyone in the market for kidnapped genetic chickens? I'm making a run to china tonight. Only kidding.

I wonder if these girls knew the living conditions of the chickens, if they would still by the feathers. Arn't they vegetarians or vegans? Who knows a PETA person? Can we "sick" PETA on this trend?

Mike in Eureka only has a few years left. From what I hear he should be out business. He has some good material in there. Lets hope he sold all of his 20 year old feathers.....

P.S. Mike has told some outright lies to both me, and more than four people that I know.(He dosen't know we all know each other). I wouldn't be suprised if he sold his feathers on ebay for $300 a cape like everyone else is doing at fly shops(a guy at Lelands). How about you Kiene's guys? Are you buying capes and selling by the feather?
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Walter, get a life. Stop bitching or we'll ban you...again. I'm tired of hearing it.
    LOL I thought the posting ettiquet looked familiar :-/

Its a shame for us fly tyers, but if I was a businessman and suddenly my product increased in value 1000% Id be a bit stoked. Especially if I had lots of back inventory. Just sayin...

Weird thing is Walter is actually a pretty decent dude in person. Pretty sure he has another alias on here so hopefully he get's the message and can be civil.

It is only the very long thin grizzly saddle hackle that they are interested in that seemed to always be a little to expensive for fly tiers, even a few years ago.

Mostly used for small woolly buggers like the ones that Jay Fair made popular for still-water fishing.

They are very selective so there are still plenty of other hackle out here that the hair dressers are not interested in.

And yes, in a few years it will not be popular and go away.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........