Thread: Get a Switch rod for Shad this summer.

Default Get a Switch rod for Shad this summer.

We have the largest selection of Switch rods in the world right now so come on by and we can talk about it.

I would get a 6 weight as it is the most popular size for Shad, trout and light Steelhead.

If you want to do Stripers, winter SH and Shad you might consider a 7 weight.

We have them starting at $349 and then all you need is any 8/9 fly reel. We have those starting at $99 if you don't already have one that size.

Lines are about $100.......

We are open 7 days a week.

**When the water gets down some we will have a free 'Switch rod /Shad demo' on the river.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Bill,

I have a Beulah 10 1/2' 6/7 wt. switch rod. What would be the ideal line to use for shad fishing? I'm familiar w/ single hand rod for shad fishing but never tried it w/ a switch rod. And what type of leader set up? Thanks

Get a Skagit head along with various sink tips Type 3, 6 and 8 cut down to 12 ft.). Beulah makes the Tonic Skagit head specifically for your rod. If you want to get deep use T-11 or T-14.

Default do I need a switch line

Well, I'm following Bill's advice on getting a 10ft rod and add a switch butt section to it. Rod I'm modifying is a RS2 fast action 7wt 10ft rod. I know it's not a switch rod and of course the warranty will be obsolete. Well, better that rod then my loomis eastfork. Anyway, I was wondering about line. This is what I have set up.

I have a100ft of rio slick shooter line, 9 wt rio shooting head type 6. Does anybody consider this is a decent set up for what I want to do or should I be investing on a line specific for switch rods. Give in mind, the rod originally is a single handed rod. I will post picks once I complete project if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Binh

Default Won't be a switch rod.

With the shooting head system you're suggesting, it won't really be a switch rod. Just a single hand rod with a long butt. With a full length sinking shooting head, you'll only be able to cast it overhead. If you want to do any two-handed casts, you'll need a skagit head.