Thread: Switch Casting in the Surf

Default Switch Casting in the Surf

In learning to cast my switch rod & I've never casted in the surf. Is there one cast in particular I should concentrate on?

Standard overhead casting (ie single handed double haul) will be your most used cast in the suds. Follow that up with using both hands to cast (but still using a standard overhead cast). Extremely difficult to do traditional double handed casts in the suds.

Beach casting or surf casting or overhead casting with a two-handed rod is more popular on the east coast of the US. They have better conditions for wading as well as a larger contiental shelf for promoting the food chain.

It is starting to catch on over here on the west coast as well as some of our lakes.

Many are using the Rio Outbound Short lines for overhead casting.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hortuna, as stated it is the overhead cast that you will utilize in the surf 98% of the time rather than any spey casting. Look at the rio outbound shorts and outbound standards to get you started as they are tapered well for this. The OBS will limit distance with a double hander because of its short head length but can be better suited to a shorter rod. I will have my clients throwing full outbounds as well as shooting heads on overhead specific rods this summer in the surf. It is a great technique for this fishery, developed on the east coast but VERY applicable on our coast. -Loren

Say hey Loren,
    "I will have my clients throwing full.." Did you get your CA Guide's License? Where will you be guiding? I wish you the best. Keep me in the loop bud.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Hey Ken,

finished the guide license app recently and am looking forward to guiding the surf this summer during July and August. Let's definitely stay in touch during the season, hope you know how much your mentorship means to me with the surf game. You and Jay paved the way man. I'll be in Belize the end of June and then out at Stinson and Bolinas mostly during the summer. Will shoot you an email when the action gets goin! We'll have to make a trip back to the coast with Mark too when time permits. Cheers -Loren

Okie dokie Loren. Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to it.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Thanks Guys, Sounds like I need to get the Rio Outbound. I currently have a Rio Skagit short 425 gr, will that work. I also have some t11 & t14 tips. Is that completely backwards??

Sorry, I'm learning.

Hortuna

The problem you'll run into with Skagit lines or any floating line for that matter is line control with the surf pulling everything around on top.
    That and most of the species are down in the water column so you want to get down there quick in most situations.
    I've been using a switch rod for a number of years now in the surf when conditions make sense to use it.
    You basically want ideally a line that is intermediate running line with around 30ft of a fast sink head either integrated or a shooting head setup.

You could use a RIO, SA, Airflo, etc. integrated line, or grab an intermediate running line and loop to loop some T14 or T11 on there as your head.
    Everyone has their preferences.

I load my switch rod for overhead casting on the lighter end of the grain window.
    That seems to work best for this particular rod.

They are a fun tool for covering distance with heavy heads and minimal effort.
    Where I am at, the Channel Islands block the surf quite a bit, so 400 grains is a bit of a dredger.
    Surf really has to be up for me to pull it out, or I am targeting halibut in calmer waters with a clear intermediate head line to cover as much water as possible.
    My friend on the coast up north, however, tends to use his almost constantly.

Have fun!

-Paul

Made a few casts with my skagit short and 10' of t-11 this morning & I'll be buying an Rio outbound next week. I hope its more manageable in the basket.

Thank you for your help.