Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my response to cliques

Default my response to cliques

Original post not by me "Most of the folks on this forum are a clique that shares very little info - I've always assumed it was due to them claiming, "I got 56 last night" and if they mentioned where the guy next to them would comment, "I was standing next to you, dude - you caught maybe 14 tops .."

I must say the respond is interesting. I think most people think that sharing information is a bad thing. You might end up with unwanted guess on the water. I have to say isn't the water a public place for all to enjoy. I'm sure it maybe a secret spot to you but it's a secret spot to a dozen other people. People you may not know at all. When I wrote my original post on asking info on local hot spot. I'm not asking for anyone's secret hole. so secretive that you need a secret handshake to fish it. All, I was inquiring is a spot that is open to the public. I don't think spots like that are secretive. I'm sure some of you have places you can access not known on a public map.

It's takes me 3 hours to get to the American. I just don't want to drive 3 hours and get skunk. I only have time to hit one spot before the sun is high over the water therefore I would like to make my one and only trip once a year a memorable one.

A little bit about me. I've been fishing since I was 5. I did a lot of saltwater fishing in Long Beach before moving up north. I'm an avid bass angler competing in various tournaments. I belong to a club and we fish out of pontoon boats. you can check us out and my profile. www.scbbbc.com. My name is Binh Phi and my user name for the club us bphi. I'm a good guy and always willing to share my water, and teach anybody will to learn bass fishing. I too have secret spots on some of the lakes I fish but I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm not stingy nor selfish about knowledge. I know fly fishermen consider themselves some what of an artist. In any case, it is what it is on this forum

Default info

Binh:
    I firmly believe that you have landed at one of the friendlier boards. In response to Bill Kiene's bogus retirement, I said that the only negative comment toward him that
    I had ever seen, was one that accused him of "giving" out too much info. I'm
    located in San Diego, and if you will "PM" me, I'll gladly share my info - for the
    most part. I think that most of the folks in Kieneville are of the same ilk. I
    believe that you have to earn your "stripes." And that includes being discreet about
    special places. Discovery seems to be a lost art. Learn to use the "PM" feature.
    Nothing ventured; nothing gained.
    Best to you in your quest,
    Larry S

Bihn,

Ignore the comment. It was out of line and far from the truth. Like lots of things in life, there's probably a bell curve on information sharing by members. 10% share and engage often, 90% rarely engage and share little. Of course, on this sitef and many others, there's hundreds of non-members that simply don't share or engage at all. To each his own as everyone has a different comfort level.

Let me suggest a change in strategy. Make sure you fish the evening. The window bite is longer and it cools down beautifully on hot days. Contact me via PM you want to go out late afternoon/evening some time and I'll take you to a good spot.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Definition of CLIQUE
    : a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons; especially : one held together by common interests, views, or purposes

I guess being flyfishers we all fit into this so called clique.

I think the referral to us as a clique was in response to something, but in looking back on the posts of kbarton I don't see what ticked him off like that. Maybe he'd like to expand on that?

Binh, Ron helping you out is all you really need, (attaboy Ron) but the old fashioned phone call to Kiene's shop would have given you all the info you could ever want. Give it a try.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I've been on the outside of clicks, and on the inside. A click is not static. I like how Ed spelled it right, but put up the definition.

I'm not saying this to bash Kiene's shop, but I have called the shop when I know whats going on, and where(to some degree). There are times I am told to go to Watt(the good ole' Secret Spot) when I know the action is elsewhere. Now if I knew the guy on the phone(and it didnt say a$$hole on the caller ID), came in more often and made a relationship, maybe he might tell me more. Is that a click? I've listened to good ole' Bill tell the Devil himself "too much info." Bill is a caring and sweet man, he can't do wrong.

So what is a "click" other than a quasi-relationship. I find your credibility to the group more enduring when you know each individual of the "click" on a personal level. I find when you are only loved in the group setting, you probably have poor relationships with the individuals.

A message board is like playing poker with the tv audience looking at your cards.

If you havent had enough responses, PM me for what I know on the American River American Shad run. If you have plenty, mind sending them my way?

: )

Andy G fishes all the time, right? Where's his shad report? Bill Lowe? Thankfully we have Tony B!

Default thanks guys

Thanks for the response, I will definitely PM a few people when I'm ready to go. June 4th seems to be the only date I can take off. I have the love of my life to take care and spend time with and that is my 3 month of daughter. She takes precedence over all fishing trips.

Tight line to all

There aren't too many reports for the American because it's been slow. The locations on the lower river that normally hold shad don't have huge pods of fish. Andy Guibord told me last night that he was out fishing for stripers on Saturday on the lower river and he didn't see any shad. There are few trickling in but they are just moving upriver. If you're in the right spot and at the right time you can pick off a few as they make their way upriver. You know it's slow when you don't see a hog line of drift boats every evening on the lower river.

It's been good on the Sac at Freeport, GArcia Bend, Miller Park and Discovery Park from what I've seen on the gear forums. I think they will be entering the American in bigger numbers within the next week or two. One good note is that the flows have dropped to 7000 cfs so more areas will be fishable.

More to come...

Default sac freeport, disco park

Hey Jeff,

thanks for the info, but are those area accessable for fly rod. all long time ago I went to disco park and it was more of a spinning rod place. Hopefully the water will drop down to 2500 by june but I highly doubt it. I will continue to wait. I already started tying the flies and getting ready.

You could use a fly rod if you can find an open spabe butl those areas are shoulder-to-shoulder with gear guys. You're better off waiting until June when the American will be red hot and the anglers more spread out.

I doubt flows will go below 5000 cfs before august with all the snowpack etc... but I could be wrong there. I guess it's time to start learning to row the old man's drift boat.....
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com