Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float tube seat, foam or inflatable?

Default Float tube seat, foam or inflatable?

I am looking to replace my Outcast float tube. I would like to hear some comments regarding the differences between the foam seats and the inflatable, air seats. The tube that I have has the foam seats and after a few hours becomes a bit uncomfortable to me. I have no experience with the inflatable seat as the other tubes that I had we just cloth.

Thanks for any input. Bruce
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Bruce I have a FishCat with foam seats. As you stated they can get a little hard after a while. One complaint I have is that the back foam seat, after a period of time, tends to bend and conform to my back and constricts my shoulders somewhat making it a little bit of a chore to work a bass bug. My thinking is that the inflatable would be even worse. I remember a couple of "prominent" board members suggested that I get the inflatable seats, unfortunately I had already ordered my boat. At any rate I love my tube! If I could I would love to try the inflatable seats, but not sure how I could accomplish that. Seems there are draw backs to everything.

Default Seat type

Not sure what model Outcast you have but I had the old style Super Fat Cat with the foam seats. For about $90 or so I upgraded to 2 inflatable bladders for the seat and the back and have never been more comfortable. The beauty of the air is you can adjust the air tension for your comfort level. I just ordered them through Kiene's and had them shipped to my house.

No question: Inflatable.

You ride higher, you can tailor your "seat number", the backrest doesn't taco, it packs WAY smaller.

_SHig

SHig, I like both of those details "ride higher . . . doesn't taco." I find the ride is okay but could be higher, it's that back thing that bugs me. I need to somehow give the inflatable try.

I have a very old tube I got used so do not really know how old it is.

I have never experienced the problem of the back folding, just the opposite I find the support of the "solid" back comfortable.

So that brings up the question of how the seat is inflated? Do you use the same pump and does it have the same valve as the main tubes?
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Slightom View Post
    I have a very old tube I got used so do not really know how old it is.

I have never experienced the problem of the back folding, just the opposite I find the support of the "solid" back comfortable.

So that brings up the question of how the seat is inflated? Do you use the same pump and does it have the same valve as the main tubes?
    The valve tube on the seat is like that on an inflatable PFD. You need a short adapter hose to use with your pump.

_SHig

Bruce: As far as the foam seat goes, you can pull it out and give it a little contour with a good long bread knife. The tube I have has a 4" thick foam seat in two pieces. I removed it and cut a contour for the butt area and rounded the leg section. Before I could only use it for about 2hrs. NO problem now, what a differance.

I have a Fishcat that came with inflatable seat and back. While the inflatable seat was comfortable it seemed to taco a bit especially after I'd been in the water for awhile and the air cooled. I ended up switching it out with a foam seat but I kept the inflatable backrest. Personally I didn't lose a whole lot of comfort but what I gained was a higher ride so i can fish just wearing shorts and stay dry with more structural rigidity to the craft overall. That and I don't need to worry about the seat losing any air. Something you could try is to sandwich a layer of softer foam in the sleeve on top of the harder foam for some added comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    I have a Fishcat that came with inflatable seat and back. While the inflatable seat was comfortable it seemed to taco a bit especially after I'd been in the water for awhile and the air cooled. I ended up switching it out with a foam seat but I kept the inflatable backrest. Personally I didn't lose a whole lot of comfort but what I gained was a higher ride so i can fish just wearing shorts and stay dry with more structural rigidity to the craft overall. That and I don't need to worry about the seat losing any air. Something you could try is to sandwich a layer of softer foam in the sleeve on top of the harder foam for some added comfort.
    I find this interesting. Did you use a pump for the seat? I can make the seat rock hard and it never sags. I wonder if yours had a leak?

_SHig