Thread: Where do Shad typically hold?

Default Where do Shad typically hold?

I know where I've gotten into shad in the past as far as pools and tailouts but I've never been sure if it was due to the shear number of fish or if I was spot on. I guess what I'm asking is where in the water column do shad typically hold?

From staring over railings on bridges and watching the fish at my feet, I'd suggest the last 18" off the bottom ...

But you'll have to remember there are two styles of fish, them as are moving upstream and you're catching them while they pass, and them as have moved upstream and are waiting for dusk to begin their egg laying frolic.

... which suggests that depending on which type you're fishing over you may see them in different places.

Looking up the Shad's spawning ritual - scientists make the claim that they release eggs near the surface allowing them to tumble to the riverbed (and giving the males the best possible shot of fertilizing them). This might explain any surface fish you may see - especially on a cloudy day or towards dusk.

In short, depending on the time of day and their activity level they could be anywhere - but not for long.
    Last edited by kbarton; 05-13-2011 at 01:37 PM.

In my short time of fishing for shad the one thing I have seemed to notice is if they are here today they more than likely won't be here tomorrow. It seems that they are constantly moving to get up stream and then leaving as soon as they are done. There are "holes" wher the fish like to visit but I think they move out quickly and on to the next spot to rest.

But then again I could be totally wrong. It would be neat to mount a tracker on a shad just to see what they really do.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

From the time they enter fresh water they are one mission: Head upsteam to spawn. They will hold in areas like the Log Hole when the flows are lower (1500 to 2000 cfs) but with the high flows that we are having they tend to shoot straight up river. Good places to find them when they are holding are drop-offs, depressions in the river bottom, along weed lines and current seams. Because their eyes are so light sensitive they are in deeper water during the day in the middle of the river but will move into the shallow flats at dusk. I've caught them in 6 inches of water at dusk. They are generally 1-3 feet off the bottom but can be anywhere in the water column so it's a good idea to be able to change the depth of your fly by using various sink tips or shooting heads. I know a lot of people who bring two rods for that purpose (sinking line on one rod and an intermediate or floating line on the other for the after action justt before dark).

Yeah Jeff, I think I've seen the same thing, while we were still getting hits consistently in deep water a few times I've seen guys start to pick them up near the surface swinging nymphs with a floating line right as it's getting dark. So I guess it's safe to say that with so much water this spring they probably won't seem to stack up so much and might be more transient through the river.