Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quest for a new rod

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    We got the new TFO 'BVK' series in the 9' #6 - 4 piece with the full wells grip and fighting butt yesterday @ $249.96
    Heck, MiK, at that price, you can get three for the price of a Winston. You're wife will realize how smart you are!

Steve

I really appreciate everyone's input. I should have spent more time telling you how I would use the rod. I use a Sage XP 5-weight now for trout and shad. I spend a lot of my fishing hours on the American, Upper Sac, McCloud and sierra lakes and streams. I want a little more backbone to toss nymphs, a nice roll casting rod. I am leaning towards a 9 1/2 ft. rod to get that extra length while high sticking. You have all given me things to think about in my quest for a new rod.

Thanks,
    Mik

in my opinion the perfect rod was built 15 years ago in chico...the Powell long reach....the only rod i will ever need for most of my nor-cal exploits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I really appreciate everyone's input. I should have spent more time telling you how I would use the rod. I use a Sage XP 5-weight now for trout and shad. I spend a lot of my fishing hours on the American, Upper Sac, McCloud and sierra lakes and streams. I want a little more backbone to toss nymphs, a nice roll casting rod. I am leaning towards a 9 1/2 ft. rod to get that extra length while high sticking. You have all given me things to think about in my quest for a new rod.

Thanks,
    Mik
    Based on your intentions, if I had to select a rod today...I'd probably get this one from the guys in Redding:
    https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...92ham80tgbdje2

...and you don't have to use an indicator unless you really feel you need it.

Have fun,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pgw View Post
    Based on your intentions, if I had to select a rod today...I'd probably get this one from the guys in Redding:
    https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...92ham80tgbdje2

...and you don't have to use an indicator unless you really feel you need it.

Have fun,

Paul
    Wow, that sounds great. I hate sacrificing pwoer, whatever that might be. Are you attending the GOOF?

Mik, if you already field an XP, I could see pairing it with a Sage 99. I often do.
    I'm having a ball with my 6wt. High sticking with a Rio gold, and some single hand stuff with an A. salmon taper line from Rio.
    Power dries with the XP, then indies on a 99.
    They don't stand a chance.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 05-10-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
    Wow, that sounds great. I hate sacrificing pwoer, whatever that might be. Are you attending the GOOF?
    Looks like I'll be there Friday through Sunday...I plan on bringing a 3 wt chunk of wood in case I wander down the road to the "misplaced creek".

Paul

I will lightly mention a point. This is a fly fishing BB sponsored by a gentleman who happens to be in the business of fly fishing equipment.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

My price range has been set by my wife at around the $500 mark. It seems that these rod manufacturers are putting their $800 rod technology into a mid priced option, due to the economy. I really like the Sage VXP--6 weight 9ft....with fighting butt. Sooo smooth and light. I tried out the Orvis hydros and the Sage VXP in a 9ft and 9 1/2 foot. Lengthwise....I thought the 9 1/2ft. rods were too sluggish. I thought there was a huge difference between casting the Hydros and VXP. VXP was fast and effortless. As we all know, a rod can be totally different for each person and what line you put on it, but so far The SAGE VXP is the frontrunner.