Thread: Shad switch Q's

Default Shad switch Q's

I will set up a lesson with Jeff, get a line and rod from the shop but the store is closed and Jeff's probably on the water so I'll ask a couple Q's in the meantime. I'm guessing a #6 is the right rod for shad but I would like to keep the line on a Galvan 6 or is a 8 going to be needed? Also I've heard good things about the TFO rods and I'm leaning that way. Lastly, a line/head recommendation would be nice. I realize depth and current speed is the deciding factor but I'll be fishing from shore and If you could have only one line, what would it be?

Thanks in advance, Gregg C 707-567-1509
    Last edited by GreggH; 05-06-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Hi Gregg,

A Skagit head would be your line best option for shad. That way you can change the tips to get down to the right depth which is the most important factor is fishing for shad. I use 15 ft sink tips cut down to 12.5 ft in Type 3, 6, and 8 and various lengths of T-8, T-11 and T-14. Right now I'm using 10 ft. of T-11 but will switch to sink tips when the flows go down on the A.

Jeff C.

Hi Gregg,

A 6 weight switch rod will work just fine. As for heads and tips, a skagit line, shooting head, and T-11 tips would be the way to go. This will allow you to fish a variety of different depths and water speeds by utilizing shorter or longer pieces of T-11. We can properly match a running and skagit head for the rod you decide to choose. Most 6 weight switches are going to take a skagit line in the 325-400 grain range depending upon the rod.

JH
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

I just saw where you live. I would say it depends on what rivers you plan to fish. I wouldnt fish the Russian with a sink tip because the locals will whine about you fishing with one the whole time you are there.

Shawn is right. B/c throwing the ski rope for shad in smaller water is just too funny.

"My 2 cents"

Dont hate on the Santa Rosa crowd. Some of the best fly fishers in the world. And the lineage your spey lines come from started with some of those folks?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyReelFisher View Post
    Shawn is right. B/c throwing the ski rope for shad in smaller water is just too funny.

"My 2 cents"

Dont hate on the Santa Rosa crowd. Some of the best fly fishers in the world. And the lineage your spey lines come from started with some of those folks?
    I was trying not to name names but one of them sleeps in his truck and wears a red sweatshirt and gets baked all day. The other a-hole is banned on this board.

He wears a green sweatshirt when he tries to throw everybody off.

And both of those guys are pretty nice compared to some others around. I think those people hibernate when its not winter or something though...

Anyway, in all fairness, your spey/switch rod might be fairly well suited to the high american flows this year.

TFO Switch rods are very nice.

For a 6 weight Switch rod you will need an 8 weight single hand fly reel.

A 6 weight Switch rod is close to a long #8 line single hand fly rod for power.

Short Skagit work well on Switch rods and are the most versatile system for Shad and Steelhead.

You can put all kinds of tips on the end but a set of MOW tips are nice.

If you get the set in the wallet it is easy to tell which one you have on by just looking at the compartments in the wallet.

**Switch and Spey rods are fantatic for trout, steehead, shad, stripers and salmon on valley rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've been fishing the Russian for years.....wait a minute. I haven't put my drift boat in since 08. Pounding ducks like a mad man has kept my addiction's separate for the last few years but mostly the brutal flow's have kept me away. The last time I fished for shad on the Russian I grabbed a punk by the throat who rubbed me wrong. I was the first and only person on the river for hours until others showed. If you don't like my string don't fish near me. This clown dove into the line up with little regard to my/our space and started in on me about my line. I ask him once to shut his pie hole and to steer clear and when he responded with another smart ass comment we locked horns. I guess i could have just gathered my gear, backed out and went home but my time out's had expired.......I like the way Red turns his head and eyeballs me from under his old crusty hoodie. When I approach his hole, I pull back on the oars, idling gently, then slipping down slowly. Red finishes a swing, gathers his pile and turns for another gnarly stare, this time it last for what seems like a hour or two. I gently set down my anchor and pour some coffee. I like watching him cast, he doesn't. He mumbles something in my direction...... I'm on a time out.

Last edited by GreggH; 05-08-2011 at 08:11 AM.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

....but Shad fishing is supposed to be fun.

"See what I mean about the locals." Haha...

Gregg, tell me more about that piece of art in your last post. Did you already have that or just make it?