Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Last night

!4 last night. Really had to work to get them. There was no one out on the river (boats or anglers). Must have been all the warnings about the high water and all the water rescues that occurred during the day.

Default Question Jeff C.

Do you think many of the Shad have started to spawn?

How long do you think the Shad season will last this year. I am guessing into middle of July...
    Tight Lines

I haven't seen too much spawning activity in the upper river but I haven't been staying out until dark because I don't want to get a ticket for being in the parkway after 9:30. The water temp out of Natomas is 57 degrees which is below the 62 degrees that Moyle cites as the temperature when they start to spawn. Andy said that he saw some spawing action down at dusk in the lower river where the water is warmer. I think they should be here through the whole month of July. Some years I have caught them inot the second week of August.

22 last night. Again no boats (except for Fire jet boat) or other anglers. River flow is still insanely high but it seems like the shad are adjusting to the higher flow.

9 last night and 3-4 LDRs. The drop in flow has caused them to move and it's supposed to drop to 8K by this afternoon. Might be a day or two before they readjust. This year I've averaged 12 per day so far. Last year (an average year) it was 4 per day. Two years ago (a good year) it was 11 per day. Looks like this is going to be a great run. 800+?

24 last night. The drop in flow brought out a lot of fly fishermen (wading and in boats). Left my head wallet at home and only had T-17 so I had to find so faster water. The shad in the faster water were bigger and fought harder.

NICE Jeff. That's a good evening!

Eric

Default Thanks for the Fly

Jeff C. - Thanks for giving me one of your "Bloody Maria" flies last night. I eventually hooked a couple of fish on it. I'll try to make a few of my own for next time. I'm eager to hear how many you finally catch this season. Brad from San Jose.

Thanks Jeff for the pointers tonight. I landed one after you left and had several grabs. I think the proper title for you should be "The Shad Grand Master" it was great seeing you in action!

Frank

If you can see Jeff fishing for Shad you will surely get excited about buying a two-handed fly rod.

We have Jeff's "Bloody Maria" Shad fly in stock....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........