Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Last night

Default AR Last night

Switch rod and Bloody Maria fly = First shad on a fly rod for 2011 (sorry for the poor cell phone picture quality because I wanted to get the shot quick. He was revived and shot off like a bullet).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR050211.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	2947  

Default So jealous

I live inthe bay area and look forward to shad season every year. Wish I had the opportunity to go after work and watch the sun set over the river while casting a line. I can only hit the water twice this year if I'm lucky. I know a lot of you have a secret spot. Now I'm asking which public access for early season. By June I'll be at sailor bar but would love an early season spot

Thanks

Maybe we can have a Saturday Shad Outing with barbecue on the Lower American River in June?

Back about 40 years ago we had annual CFFU Shad Outings and barbecue every summer at Goethe Park. We would get some early Shad and have them smoked too. Somewhere I have photos of this event with lots of old timers, of which many are up in FFing heaven right now.

**Sadly, the best fishing while wading with a fly rod for Shad is early and late in the day.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Four last night. It took me a couple of hours to get the four I caught. 2 on a Too Sexy and 2 on a Bloody Maria. More guys showing up to fish. I think I might have to look for another spot to fish in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by bphi View Post
    I live inthe bay area and look forward to shad season every year. Wish I had the opportunity to go after work and watch the sun set over the river while casting a line. I can only hit the water twice this year if I'm lucky. I know a lot of you have a secret spot. Now I'm asking which public access for early season. By June I'll be at sailor bar but would love an early season spot

Thanks
    Most of the folks on this forum are a clique that shares very little info - I've always assumed it was due to them claiming, "I got 56 last night" and if they mentioned where the guy next to them would comment, "I was standing next to you, dude - you caught maybe 14 tops .."

To that end I like the Goethe Park run, it has a couple of bends - easy access from the freeway, and enough people around so that the guys breaking into cars and cutting off your catalytic converter have to glance over their shoulder all the time. If you take the wife and kids, it gives them restroom access as well.

There's usually ample room for casting as there's more than a single spot to fish from - the downside is that is where most of the rented rafts are taken out, so late afternoon can have quite a few boaters on the water.

Once you hear the fish are distributed in the river it's worth the attempt.

They renamed the park to Riverbend Park instead of Goethe ... follow the signage.

KB
    Last edited by kbarton; 05-04-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    Maybe we can have a Saturday Shad Outing with barbecue on the Lower American River in June?.
    I would be up for that Bill, sounds like it could be fun, crowded, but fun.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Except the Goethe run hasn't had many shad there for the last 3-4 years. Last year was the first time I saw a couple of pods roaming that area. During the last high water years about 5 years ago, it was bonkers though. It's where I do my bridge check..... walk across the bridge, look down.... if I don't see any shad, time to go striper fishing..... Also, I wouldn't fish there until flows come down to about 4400 cfs, even then it's borderline to wade out far enough to reach the fish.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Clique or not, no one in their right mind is gonna post a shad hotspot (or any other) and blast it all over the internet so the next time they hit that spot, they have a ton of "buddies" parked there. Heck, Keith, I sure don't see you giving away your hotspots on your blog either!

Hot Spots? I lack those entirely. My total for last year was one fish hooked - and lost.

I suppose I'm many hideous things for cracking wise, but I'm still the only fellow that offered the nice man another spot to look at...

KB

'Jeff C' will probably be out 60-70 days this spring for Shad on the Lower American River and that is what separates him from 99% of everyone else who Shad fishes.

Over my long career in the fishing tackle business I have met a handful of what I would call "Shad Addicts" who really put in a lot of days on those fish.

The other guys who really know these fish are the drift boat guides who put in a lot of days on American Shad and Stripers in the spring/summer on the A.

**If you can get out with Jeff one night you will see him casting one of his Switch rods and the next day you will be in here buying one.

** For wading on the Lower American River my advice is to go in June as much as you can and fish the last hour or two and use smaller flies.

**We will have some of Jeff Ching's special Shad flies for sale in the shop this year. Thanks Jeff.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........